PDA as mp3 player....

Tim1964 21:05 07 Aug 2003

Apologies for reposting but I have had no response from the Consumerwatch pages.

Is it possible (and cost effective) to use a lower spec PDA with a USB pen drive (the sort that looks like a disposable lighter) as a MP3 player?
I ask this because the pocket size 128Mb players only carry about 2 albums worth of music and I would like the capacity of a HDD based player without the apparent jump in price.
Thanks,

Tim.

jazzypop 22:18 07 Aug 2003

What capacity USB pen drive are you proposing to use? And which PDA?

Tim1964 23:24 07 Aug 2003

jazzypop, thanks for the response,

The PDA would be a very basic model (B+W display).
What I haven't found out is, does a PDA have a 'hard drive' or is it RAM only? I have seen RAM mentioned in the adverts but never any mention of permanent storage.
It seems that the price jumps quite dramatically from a 'pocket sized' MP3 player to a HDD based one.
I suppose the larger capacity pen drives would push the price up to that of a HDD based player anyway.

ton 23:39 07 Aug 2003

click here

On this site you can find all types of mp3 players at a reasonable price. The ones that use a compact flash card are very good.

Dearersteak 04:53 08 Aug 2003

I have a Dell Axim, and i have a 128mb flash card with it to! I can get a good hour of music on it, along with all the other stuff i keep on it! But you can buy cards as big as a Gig!

this thing that seperates PDA's from laptop is the fact the PDA's have no moving parts really! And so the relie souly on Ram and Rom! But u don't need a 300pound PDA for it! like u said. Cheap, black and white... that has some sort of media player, (or even download realone for Pocket PC's (window's PDA's OS) Or Plam ( the other PDA OS), and then splash out of a SD/Flash card!

Tim1964 18:34 08 Aug 2003

Thanks for the responses and links guys (both male or female?) Will check out the link above.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

What is ransomware and how do I protect my PC from Petya?

Microsoft Surface Studio – the artist's hands-on review

Original iPhone review

Comment mettre à jour Kodi ?