PC's random power off (not shutdown)

YinHoNg 17:03 17 Jul 2007

Recently, and out of nowhere, my PC (less than a year old) has started to just switch off/power off at seemingly random moments.

Before this, nothing out of the ordinary happened i.e. no new installations, hardware of software, was undertaken.

There's no obvious trigger that suddenly causes the power off - many times I've just started up the computer, logged in, and after a random amount of time it will just power off. I also did a chekdsk (the one before windows loads up) but the computer switched off again, before checkdisk finished. I want to emphasise that it is completely random timing as to when it switches itself off - once its 20 minutes from power up, another time it was more than 24 hours before it decided to switch off!

I've only done basic troublehsooting so far. First, I checked that all the cables were firmly in place. I've also checked the CPU multiple times for overheating problems, but the temp showed up as normal (~32c). On visual inspection, I can see that all computer fans: Power supply fan, cpu fan, gfx fan, on board fan are all spinning at their normal speeds.

Can anybody determine the cause of the problem from my description?
Is there a way to find the problem, which is clearly hardware based, without one by one, replacing every single part?
If I do have to do hardware swaps, which order should I do them in?

Technotiger 17:32 17 Jul 2007

First suspect in my opinion is PSU, can you try a different PSU?

alan2273 18:32 17 Jul 2007

Download this program, open it , click on computer, click on sensor and check the temperature of the processor as high temperatures can cause a random shutdown.
click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?