PC/Laptop for OAP

Fromagep 11:55 25 Oct 2007

My technophobe father-in-law who has never used a pc in his life now wants a simple pc/laptop.My suggestion he goes to evening classes first fell on deaf ears(ironic!).Other than Dell are there any tips/suggestions as to the most suitable computer? I am assuming a budget of £200 -£400.

dwe 13:00 25 Oct 2007

acer range i have had two for my wife good easy kit

Press Man 15:23 25 Oct 2007

click here some good choices and reasonable prices.

lenc 16:33 25 Oct 2007

This is a place click here that supplies both at competitive prices. Don't worry about the Grade 2 label, the machines are supplied 'as(if)new'.

palinka 21:56 26 Oct 2007

3 thoughts: a)laptops are not the easiest things for newcomers to use, especially if they are elderly newcomers; b) where I live (South Cumbria)a local charity is selling refurbished PCs from approx £100. An elderly friend bought one when his previous machine died. Might be worth investigating similar possibilities where you live; c)I agree with your father-in-law: classes are fine, but you'll never get anywhere with classes unless you also have a PC at home to practice on.
Good luck.

woodchip 22:39 26 Oct 2007

I just got this, for £275 from a Computer Fair NEW.

Price hear at the bottom Its a good Laptop.

But mine as a Mobile Centrino CPU not a Celeron

woodchip 23:07 26 Oct 2007

Hear we are click here(16329)HP-510-Notebook-PM770-213GHz-512MB-60GB-154.aspx
It's just the same as mine

wee eddie 12:02 27 Oct 2007

Was he the type that told his mates that he had a new car/stereo/whatever.

Or

Was he the bloke that went around searching the Sunday markets for a bargain.

The kind of person he was will give you an idea of what will appeal to him. Admittedly I cannot see any point in spending £800 on a Gaming PC. If he's the second type, I think I'd recommend the pair of you scouring the local paper or e-bay for a real cheapy ~ telling him that the game-plan was that if he enjoyed the experience, he could probably sell it for about what he bought it for and buy a more fancy number.

Technotiger 12:30 27 Oct 2007

Hi, I got my first PC when I was 65yrs. Until that time I had never had any interest in mid computers, but I got it to use in my job to keep in touch with head office. Had a stroke shortly after that (nothing to with wanting to throw said PC out of the window on several occasions - honest!) and had to retire.
The PC kept me sane, I think, and now I would not be without it. Self-taught, but learned most from regular reading of PC Magazines. Now in my 70's and have friends even older, who also started late - but now I am getting to the crux of the matter; IMHO lessons are a waste of time, my older friends went to regular lessons, what were they taught? Excell and spreadsheets mostly and a bit of MS Word. Pretty useless to a real oldie - nothing about fixing little things like the mouse for instance, keeping it clean and working properly, nothing about what's in the 'box', and what makes it tick over, nothing about Memory/hard drives.cd roms etc and nothing about making backups or AVG, firewalls, the Internet and so on - nothing about the real 'bread and butter' stuff of daily computing; so as I said if my friends' experiences are anything to go by, I would not bother with so-called lessons. They still all call on me when anything goes wrong - but I have not had any lessons!
Good luck to your father-in-law, give him a Subscription to PCA for Christmas, then just stand clear once he has his PC - I would not advise a laptop, get him a 'proper' PC.
Just a little guidance from you and reading PCA from cover to cover and he will be fine I am sure.
Oh, and get him signed up to the Forum of course.

Cheers TT

Technotiger 12:35 27 Oct 2007

PS, sorry about the odd typo's, dunno where the mid came from :-)

Diemmess 13:21 27 Oct 2007

Your question is so important.

My guess is that he doesn't want to be one of the diminishing number without a computer and thinks a laptop would be simpler and somehow more private to struggle with in the early days.

He seems to have made up his mind on this route as the sensible "open sessame" to computing.

If he makes any use of it he is going to suffer inwardly as he deals with a touchpad instead of a good mouse.
I suggest you insist on a mouse whatever he spends on a computer.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone