PCI IDE card to boot windows

Trackrat 20:20 02 Sep 2005

Can you pu a pci ide controller card in a computer and disconnect the hard drive from the motherboard IDE controller and then connect it to the PCI card and use it to boot from.
I am asking this as I suspect a faulty Mobo controller
So by adding a pci IDE controller card will it be able to boot the main hard drive

woodchip 20:23 02 Sep 2005

It may work but it's anybodies guess, as to the motherboard or the controller on the drive being faulty. If you had a message pop up saying controller fault I would say it’s the hard drive

Cuddles 22:08 02 Sep 2005

Yes it does work, i have done this on several machines.

alan227 23:02 02 Sep 2005

Cuddles how did you go about it , did you have to alter any settings in the BIOS?.

alan227 23:03 02 Sep 2005

Sorry for breaking into Trackrats post but I can use this information to help a friend.

Catastrophe 09:47 03 Sep 2005

It may depend. I have just this situation on an old computer but cannot load the software to have the PCI recognised. So I too, am interested to hear how Cuddles does it. Is there a PCI IDE which is recognised without inputting software?

Trackrat 09:33 04 Sep 2005

yes it is that simple, put the pci card in the slot and connect your hard drive to it, I assume it is a raid card you are using.

This is the reply from Cuddles.

Catastrophe 01:37 05 Sep 2005

Errrr - how does it detect the software to install the PCI? Catch 22.

I repeat - is there a PCI IDE which is recognised without inputting software? Details please?

Cuddles 21:44 07 Sep 2005

You do not need to install software to use a PCI card.

Catastrophe 01:29 08 Sep 2005

I can boot from a PC which has software installed. Why do I have a software installation disk?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?