PCI Express x16 and 2.0?

Kilty 17:29 09 Feb 2009

I need a new PCI Express graphics card and was hoping someone could tell me which I should buy. My desktop is 4 years old and has a PCI Express slot for a graphics card, which should I buy, x16 or the 2.0? Or will both work ok with my machine.

Thanks in advance for any help given.

PSF 18:04 09 Feb 2009

What motherboard do you have as there are different versions of PCI-E slots, eg ver 1 1x or 4x. Most of the newer PCI-E cars are Ver 2 x 16 (16 lanes)
Once you know what motherboard you the manufactures site will have a list of what cards are compatible.

Kilty 18:12 09 Feb 2009

Im not sure the motherboard make or model, but it is 4 years old, sorry I dont have more info. It is the only PCI-E slot on the board, if that helps?

Thanks again for the help and any more given.

PSF 18:15 09 Feb 2009

click here download Belarc advisor and that will give you information of what is in your system.

ambra4 23:14 09 Feb 2009

The PCI Express x16 slot conforms to PCI Express 2.0 standard

PCI-E 2.0 is backwards compatible so you'll have no problem running it on your PCI-E x16 board.

PSF 11:59 10 Feb 2009

A PCI-E2 motherboard is backward compatible with older cards. Some of the older motherboards with Gen 1 PCI-E are not always compatable with PCI-E gen 2. click here I had this problem with a board trying to find a card for it. A Gen 2 PCI-E could work with it but you would have to flash the cards BIOS to make it a Gen 1 PCI-e card. If you cannot boot it you cannot flash the BIOS.

If the motherboard is a Gen 1 x16 most cards will work click here&

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

What went wrong at the Designs of the Year 2017

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment regarder des séries et talk-shows américains en France ?