pci-e graphics card

LITEON 21:36 23 Oct 2006

hi
apart from games do any of these cards provide
more coloours when viewing images,editing and what about movies and photoshop,every review i came across is only concentrated on games only

Totally-braindead 21:45 23 Oct 2006

Thats because almost any graphics card is capable of running photoshop and editing video. It doesn't take a mega £300 card to run these.
In answer to your question, as far as I know the more expensive cards will not allow any more colours that say a £50 card, what it does allow is more of the game details to be run and at a higher resolution. For video editing, unless its really serious stuff a basic card will do as well, same for photos. I would say for photos its more important to have a good screen.

LITEON 21:53 23 Oct 2006

ty
i am thinking of buying 7950 gx2 am not gamer but watch a lot movies,if i am correct in understading your question there will be improvement in movies???

LITEON 21:54 23 Oct 2006

sorry
what i meant was there will be no improvement in movies????

Totally-braindead 22:01 23 Oct 2006

As far as I am aware there will be no difference whatsoever between this and say a £50-70 card for watching movies. If you are really not interested in games and already have a reasonable card then I would spend the money on a nice new quality monitor and perhaps a set of surround sound speakers if your sound card will support them.

Wait and see if anyone else chips in but playing a movie really doesn't stretch a graphics card much and the 7950 is overkill for this.

Joe R 22:08 23 Oct 2006

LITEON,

Have to agree with Totally-braindead, this card will not run your movies any better, than a cheaper model.

Most of the media center, small form factor models, use onboard graphics for DVD playing, and the quality has no adverse effects.

Also as previously suggested, a good high quality monitor, would be a better addition, especially for image editing.

Totally-braindead 22:12 23 Oct 2006

What I would really fancy being a bit of a gamer myself, but the same would I think be true of you with your movie watching is one of the very large flat panel TVs which can double as a monitor.

Sadly I can't afford it.

LITEON 22:27 23 Oct 2006

if its not needed for watching dvds/cd what is its primary benefit,does dvd playing uses onboard graphics by default???

Totally-braindead 22:41 23 Oct 2006

LITEON you computer either has onboard graphics and uses it or has a seperate graphics card and uses that. You cannot use both at the same time.
If your computer has onboard graphics and you then install a seperate graphics card it will disable the onboard graphics and use the seperate graphics card only.

The primary benefit of a graphics card is for playing games and anything else which demands a powerful graphics facility. The only other thing I can think of is if you were creating some cartoon movie with lots of movement and lighting effects. There are others but its not my thing really. I play games, surf the web, play movies and write the odd letter etc.

Playing DVDs does not require a lot of power as regards a graphics card.

LITEON 22:50 23 Oct 2006

thanks
i have decided not to buy the 7950 gx2
also read in tomshardware the only use for a very high end is games,as u have all mentione creating large movies and cartoon
thanks again

Totally-braindead 23:01 23 Oct 2006

If you don't play games its really a waste of money buying something this good. Buying even a cheap graphics card can be good for your PC generally because onboard graphics uses some of the system memory and if you put in a seperate card it will speed it up a bit, it releases the memory for windows to run and it also takes some of the work away from the processor.
Notice I said a bit, you may notice it or you may not it depends on things like how fast your computer is and how much memory you have.
A good monitor will be a better purchase for you if the one you're using isn't too good.
Is there something wrong when you playback a DVD or did you just want to improve it? Perhaps its the program you are using to play the DVDs and it can be tweaked. Just suggestions as you never actually said you had a problem.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

See mcbess's iconic style animated for Mercedes-Benz

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Black Friday 2017 : date, sites participants & bonnes affaires