PCI Device. Can't find this driver on CD

villageidiot 00:53 26 Feb 2007

I am using WinXP on a Gigabyte GA-M61VME-S2 motherboard, with on-board graphics.

In Device Manager, “Other Devices” and its sub-folder “PCI Device” are shown with the yellow question marks. Because I am not using a separate graphics board I don’t think I need the PCI drivers installed. However, in order to get rid of the yellow question marks: -

Action – Right Click “PCI Device”, and click on Properties

Result – PCI Properties window shows the message: - “The drivers for this device are not installed. (Code 28)”. To install the drivers for this device, click Reinstall Driver”

Action - Click “Reinstall Driver”

Result – Hardware Update Wizard (HUW) window asks: - “Can Windows connect to Windows Update to search for software?

Action – Click “No, not this time”, and click “Next”

Result – HUW instructs: - “If your hardware came with an installation CD or floppy disk, insert it now.

Action – I assume this refers to the CD that came with the motherboard, so I insert it.

HUW asks: - “What do you want the wizard to do?

Action – Click “Install the software automatically (Recommended)”, and click “Next”

Result – HUW displays the message “The hardware was not installed because the wizard cannot find the necessary software”

Where do I go from here?

STREETWORK 07:43 26 Feb 2007

If there is no PCI card inserted onto the motherboard then you do not need to install the drivers for it.

Windows will look for the hardware to confirm the driver is needed...

birdface 08:53 26 Feb 2007

[Can Windows connect to windows update to search for software.]Click yes,And let Windows find it,

wotbus@ 08:54 26 Feb 2007

""Because I am not using a separate graphics board I don’t think I need the PCI drivers installed. However, in order to get rid of the yellow question marks: ""
Graphics cards usually use their own dedicated slot, separate from PCI slots, therefore not relevant in this case.
Catch22...If there are no PCI slot drivers installed Windows will tell you with a yellow "?". You must have drivers or yellow "?"'s.
Don't confuse the PCI slot driver (usually found on the mobo installation disc or available from their site) with the PCI device driver (usually accompanies the device.

wotbus@ 09:01 26 Feb 2007

PS: Windows comes with quite a few generic drivers to allow plug and play, so not all devices come with drivers. When installing Windows, your hardware configuration is inspected (mobo and what's on it etc) and will decide if it needs drivers. If so, the hardware which requires drivers will be listed in Device Manager - in your case the PCI slots.
You don't have a problem if you don't fill the slots ;-), but I suspect you will want to in the future.

Gongoozler 09:01 26 Feb 2007

PCI device could be onboard sound or dial-up modem.

keef66 09:50 26 Feb 2007

In my experience PCI devices without drivers are usually dial-up modems, occasionally network crds, rarely primitive sound cards.

fitshase 11:46 26 Feb 2007

Instead of looking for the drivers on the CD, see if there is an installation program on the CD. My motherboard came with an installation CD. Run the installation program and it installs all of the necessary drivers.

If you let windows look on the CD it cannot find the drivers.

phono 11:49 26 Feb 2007

I would say that Gongoozler is on the right track, do you have onboard sound, LAN and/or modem?

Try uninstalling the Unknown device and then load your Gigabyte motherboard CD, if there is a driver install routine available then try running it, in a lot of cases the correct driver will be installed by this program.

phono 11:50 26 Feb 2007

We think alike. Must learn to type quicker ;^)

Gongoozler 12:07 26 Feb 2007

A clue to what the device is can be found from Device Manager. Have a look at the listed devices, and the one which isn't there is probably the missing PCI Device. For example if the motherboard should have an ethernet port, then I would expect it to appear under "Network adapters".

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

50 best online Adobe XD tutorials

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment connecter un MacBook à une TV ?