PCAdvisor Sept Paragon Drive Copy won`t!

Michael John 21:52 17 Sep 2007

I have installed the prog. but it won`t copy from C drive (either whole drive or just C partition) to USB HDD, as I expected it to. I have formatted USB HHD., but still the prog. says "Vol.C is in use now". Can`t see what is using C as I like to have the minimum running. Any way I have disabled AVast and AdAware and rebooted but makes no difference. Any one any ideas, or is it the program at fault (and so useless)?

brundle 21:59 17 Sep 2007

If you are copying from the drive you are actually running the application on, it will almost certainly fail. Partition managers that can do that usually reboot the machine and run their own copy routines.
Not a fault in the application, just a lack of a specific feature. Try CloneMaxx; click here
I'm not 100% certain it will see your USB drive, but it's worth a try.

brundle 22:06 17 Sep 2007

Or this; click here

Totally-braindead 22:50 17 Sep 2007

Have to agree with brundle, I haven't used this particular program but the reason it won't copy the C is it is in use as it says, I don't know if the Paragon program does this but the way many of these programs get round it is to create a DOS disk, usually a CD now rather than a floppy disk. You boot from this disk and it lets the program run with a minimum of drivers without letting windows run from the C drive. You can then copy it.
I don't know if this program does this but if it does it still might not see the USB drive if the disk creation doesn't include the relevant drivers.

These are only suggestions because as I said I don't know this particular program.
One program I can recommend that will copy your entire hard drive across to USB is Acronis Drive Image, its not free but is well worth the purchase and works beautifully. click here

Michael John 12:24 18 Sep 2007

Thanks chaps.

Sorted, sort off.

After read the mag again and the prog Help files it`s litle wonder I was going wrong as the vital bit was missing: It seems I should have been clicking Restart rather than Cancel. I wonder why that wasn`t in the magazine? With Restart it does that and goes straight into PDCopy and copies, seeing the USB HDD no prob. How I get I it back if I lose C HHD (like I did recently) I think is fit a new HDD, install Windows from CD, Install Drive Copy inserting reg. number and copy (clone) back. Their recovery CD is to buy only; the Demo is just that.

As increasing mentioned in magazines I may also install another internal HHD, being prepared to swap them over (and changing master and slave), if I loose the original. A belt and braces approache!

I`ve noted the three links.
Thanks.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?