PCA Malware??

Technotiger 08:16 20 Dec 2007

The following is an extract from an email I received this morning from a good friend asking for my advice. I did not know that she received PCA on-line? So I am wondering if 'PC Advisor On-line' is a genuine thing or not - I suspect it is not genuine and that she now has Malware to deal with. I do know she had been downloading music from the internet earlier.

Can anyone please confirm, or otherwise, my suspicions?

"I received the latest on-line copy of PC Advisor today and it advised its readers to scan with Previx CSI malware scanner to see if they had any 'rootkit infections'. I did so and it found 2 of them. Problem is I can't delete the files in question. It keeps telling me I am not allowed to! They are C:\ProgramFiles\MyWebsearch\SrchAstt\2.bin\MWSSRCAS and C:\ProgramFiles\MyWebSearch\bar\2.bin\F3POPSWT.DLL"

Technotiger 08:21 20 Dec 2007

Hi Guys 'n Gals, just received another email from my friend - she has managed to delete the rogue entries by using the Search facility (XP Home btw).

However, I would still like to know if my suspicions were warranted please!

TIA .......... TT

birdface 08:48 20 Dec 2007

Not sure.This one looks Ok.click here

Technotiger 08:51 20 Dec 2007

Hi, thanks for responding - yes it does appear so. I have since spoken to my friend, she is a few hundred miles away, and yes everything is apparently genuine, so I shall now give this one the Green tick.

Thanks again.

birdface 08:55 20 Dec 2007

Ist one probably.click here

Technotiger 09:19 20 Dec 2007

Cheers, and thanks again.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

The Evil Within 2 review-in-progress

InVision Studio takes on Adobe XD and Sketch

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment transformer un iPhone en borne Wi-Fi ?