PCA Averts and IE8 "not responding"

mooly 08:36 26 Apr 2010

This only seems to happen on PCA out of all the sites I use.

Certain words in threads cause an advert in a box to appear... and on occasions that results in IE8 freezing and not responding. I normally try and keep the cursor away from such things but sometimes it's unavoidable.

Anyone else noticed this... it's infrequent, but it's always on this site.

And it ruins my perfect "10" score for reliability monitor ;)

G4V1N 08:43 26 Apr 2010

if you are having trouble on this site try using a differint brrowser i use Mozilla Firefox

You can get it here for free

click here

G

G4V1N 08:43 26 Apr 2010

if you are having trouble on this site try using a differint brrowser i use Mozilla Firefox

You can get it here for free

click here

G

G4V1N 08:57 26 Apr 2010

Sorry about it coing up twice

G

birdface 09:51 26 Apr 2010

Maybe give this ad-blocker a try.

click here
It puts a small icon on your status bar.

mooly 11:45 26 Apr 2010

I just typing a reply and it froze again, CPU on 100% and IE not reponding (and no adverts, I was typing here) so I'm wrong on that, something else is going on.

Had to use task manager to close the application.

It's strange it's just on PCA that this seems to happen. I remember that advert a few months back with a "live" search box that caused problems for many.

Will have to keep a watch and see if any common factor seems to show.

birdface 12:33 26 Apr 2010

While you were in Task Manager did you find out what program was using up all of the CPU.

mooly 14:59 26 Apr 2010

No I didn't... should have done.
I just terminated IE which showed as "not responding".
Next time (it's sure to occur again) I will have a look.

mooly 07:49 29 Apr 2010

It did it again this AM... I unintentionally "caught" a word in a thread which opened an advert... well it didn't, just opened a white box and IE froze. Tha's the usual scenario, although yesterday it happened just typing a reply.

Looked in processes this time, and ieexplorer was using 98% CPU. Ended task and the tab recovered.

This never ever happens on any other web site/pages... always PCA. As an aside to this I also notice, and have done for ages, that the fan comes on more on PCA than on any other sites... it's been on all the time I have been on here... several minutes running continuously. As soon as I navigate away from here to other sites or web pages the fan activity will reduce markedly, often to virtually nothing. There is no HDD activity in the background whatsoever.

birdface 08:16 29 Apr 2010

It should be iexplore.exe if any thing different it may be a Virus.

birdface 08:25 29 Apr 2010

Are you still having problems with it after you downloaded the Ad-Blocker or have you not downloaded it yet.
This for explorer.exe

click here

Maybe downloading and running this Host File might solve the problem.

click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Galaxy Note 8 vs iPhone X

Awful clip art from 1994 is being tweeted every hour by a bot

iPhone X vs Samsung Galaxy Note 8

Les meilleurs navigateurs internet 2017