Is pc2700 backwards compatible

bsod 19:52 15 Sep 2003

Hi everyone.

I have a duel memory board that accepts sdram and ddr ram. not at the same time, of course. At the moment it has 256mb of pc133 sdram. The board has a max fsb of 266 and pc2100 (133Mhz) is recommended for the ddr slots.

I do a lot of video editing and want to increase my ram from 256 to 512. Now I may be changing the board to accept a 333mhz cpu in about 3 or 4 months. I would like to have ddr memory now,and obviously the fastest. The price of pc2100 and pc2700 are virtually identical.

The idea being to get the ram that would make the new board work at it's best.

Question 1) will the pc2700 (333Mhz) work in the pc2100 (266mhz) slots, is it backwards compatible like sdram.

Question 2) Am I likely to get more errors than normal, because the ram is running at a slower speed?

Thanks

R4 20:35 15 Sep 2003

Q1: pc2700 should work Ok only slower I believe the only real difference is the speed.But it is worth checking the Specs to make sure.

Q2: You should see less errors at the lower speed.

Why should you put up with any memory errors at all. I wouldn't.

When you fit the new memory I suggest you run DocMem or Burnintest (on memory) and ensure error Free opertion of the memory.

Quiller. 21:17 15 Sep 2003

"Why should you put up with any memory errors at all. I wouldn't. "

I don't. lol

I was just wondering that because the memory is not running at it's full speed. Is this likely to give me errors?

Thanks for the info.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

30 UK artists have created vibrant posters celebrating Pride London

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment connecter un MacBook à une TV ?