PC XP startup problem

telkell 15:20 11 Jan 2007

On my Dell 5000 PC- I have an intermittent problem starting up. When I touch the start button I hear the fan start and fade out and an orange light blinks slowly at the button.I can start then in one of two ways -one is to switch off the mains at the wall and wait at least four hours (or overnight) when it will then start normally.
The second method suggested by a Dell technician (when we were in the middle of discussing adifferent matter ) was to hold down the start button- remove the power connector atthe rear of the processor - count slowly to twenty still pressing the button - then plunge the plug back in whilst releasing the button.
This certainly works, but unfortunately not every time and I have given up several times with a numb finger and a bad temper and gone bck to the long wait with method one.
Does anyone know better?

skidzy 18:03 11 Jan 2007

Possibly a failing psu !

If still under warranty,send it back.

If not still under warranty,its time to look inside the case.
Check all the fans are clear of dust and any residue.

How old is this system ?

If out of warranty and you wish to open the case and try a few things,post back.

Beaware if under warranty and you open the case...you may void the warranty.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 20:09 11 Jan 2007

hold down the start button- remove the power connector atthe rear of the processor - count slowly to twenty still pressing the button - then plunge the plug back in whilst releasing the button.

This supposed to get rid of static build up and fully discharge capacitors.

Try booting with any USB devices disconnected and plug them in whaen fully booted up.

Failing PSU does sound the most likely cause.
beware dell propriety size PSU.

If renewing a PSU check:

1. The physical size of your PSU, some are hard to replace due to being a non standard size.
2. The amount of power need from the PSU don't skimp

1. Physical Dimensions

Besides the specs and form factors, the physical dimensions are also important factors in selecting a compatible power supply. Here is an outline of the physical dimensions of most standard power supplies:

# ATX: 6x3.5x5.5", HxWxD. Most common. Uses 4 mounting screws.
# Mini-ATX: 5x3.5x5", HxWxD. Rare size. Uses 4 mounting screws. Can be used in a regular ATX case, but often not the other way around.
# MicroATX: 5x3x4", HxWxD. Use 3 mounting screws. Not interchangeable with ATX or miniATX.
# Flex ATX: Even smaller than Micro ATX. Various sizes according to case specs; often not interchangeable.

Use the data above to determine if a particular power supply would fit your case.

The quality of a power supply can be estimated by its weight. While this is not a true scientific or thorough measurement of the power supply reliability, it is nevertheless a very simple and easy way for ordinary PC users to estimate and compare the quality of a power supply.

2. Power supply calculator click here

Guide to changing PSU
click here
click here

telkell 10:08 12 Jan 2007

Thanks to both. My PC is nearly two years old. I do have an extended warranty, so I should maybe contact Dell before doing anything else.

vinnyT 13:47 12 Jan 2007

"so I should maybe contact Dell before doing anything else." Yes, it's a hardware problem, get them to sort it, you paid for the extended warranty, so make use of it.

telkell 11:01 08 Feb 2007

Shortly after my last entry above, the PC would suddenly shut down. I thought the fan was dodgy and it was overheating. At last I contacted Dell. They were top class. The techie had me checking various thing iside and out and then said they would pick it up next day (I am in the north of Scotland) and have it back within five working days. It was back like new in four days - or three and a bit actually, with a new motherboard fitted . It was well worth the £75 they charged me for a three year extension on my warranty!

vinnyT 11:11 08 Feb 2007

Glad you got it sorted, and that you got such great service.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 11:18 08 Feb 2007

new motherboard fitted

sounds like blown capacitors on the board.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

WPA2 hack: How secure is your Wi-Fi?

HP’s new Surface Pro rival is designed specifically for Adobe-using designers and artists

Best kids apps for iPhone & iPad

Que faire si son iPhone ou iPad est tombé dans de l'eau ?