pc, xbox, psp, share broadband wirelessly?

keef66 11:14 12 Dec 2006

At the moment I have NTL cable broadband, cable modem, and a wired router, to which I have attached up to 3 pc's and managed to share the internet access successfully.

Kids now have Xbox and PSP, and want internet access for these too. How do I do this wirelessly??

Simple explanation please, what things do I need to buy? How do I set up wireless internet connection sharing??

mgmcc 11:47 12 Dec 2006

Replace your existing router with a "wireless" one. You could simply plug a Wireless Access Point into one of the existing router's LAN ports, but you will almost certainly find you can buy a wireless router for less than a stand-alone W.A.P.

The devices connecting wirelessly then need to have a Wireless Network Adapter installed.

Sharing the internet wirelessly is really no different from what you are doing at the moment, except you have to establish the wireless connection between computer and router. This emulates a normal ethernet connection but over a wireless link.

Aargh 13:43 12 Dec 2006

For the Xbox, you will need to buy a microsoft wireless adapter for it (available at Xbox dealers). You then need to enrol into the Xbox Live! gold service (£35 pa) to game online and access the full range of downloads.

For the PSP, when you have your wireless network up & running you can go straight online for free. It has an internet browser, but the game needs to one of those that enables online gaming.

If you want WPA-PSK security to work you will also have to download the psp software upgrade to the latest version (free). Otherwise you will be stuck with WEP security.

I also found with the PSP you will need to manually enter all the DNS settings from your ISP, and network settings, as the automatic mode has never seemed to work. The basics are all in the manual for setting it up.

keef66 14:03 12 Dec 2006

thanks both. Sounds pretty simple. I'll try the wireless router first and get the PSP online. If that's successful, I'll get the wireless adapter for the Xbox and the kids can have a whip-round for the Xbox Live subscription

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone