PC World insurance - HELP

Luiza 12:25 13 Jul 2011

Hi there, I was advised by a salesperson to take an insurance when I bought my ASUS laptop almost 3 years ago from PC World in Kingston. Since then I have been paying 17.00 a month - yes, a lot of money.
The letters in the laptop keyboard are disappearing and there are some important letters suc as r, e that cannot be seen at all anymore. Yesterday I was told by an EXTREMELY unhelpful person at the shop in Kingston that this is a "cosmetic" problem and it is not covered by the insurance.I asked to speak to the manager but was told he was not there and wouldn't come back that day. Is there anyone who could help me with this? Thanks

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 12:39 13 Jul 2011

Use white nail polish and a fine tip artists toothbrush to repaint the lettering, brush a little clear coat over it once lettering has dried for some extra protection.

You could get a decent machine for £600 (17x36) What exactly is it insured for? Your home insurance would mostly like cover for breakage if you dropped it or it was stolen.

Luiza 13:00 13 Jul 2011

thanks for your help.
I am goig to cancel the insurance, because it was a BIG mistake after all. I thought everything was covered, but now they say it is not. Would there be any way to get an advise on whether I have any rights at all in this matter?

lotvic 14:29 13 Jul 2011

After three years of use and the only fault is some keyboards letters have faded? That could be called 'fair wear and tear'.

I should count yourself lucky, cancel the insurance and paint the letters back on.

northumbria61 14:58 13 Jul 2011

Your monthly Insurance is for things going "wrong" with your laptop (ie: failure of a component - hardware that is - but unlikely for any software installed.

Your car warranty would cover you against mechanical and electrical failures during the Warranty period but it wouldn't cover you against your number plate falling off.

I agree with lotvic that this is "fair wear and tear"

£17 per month - you probably thought it was worth it at the time but it is a lot of money - cancel it and put it to better use.

retep888™ 18:08 13 Jul 2011

Get keyboard stickers from click here ,quicker & neater.

compumac 22:25 13 Jul 2011

My old laptop had missing keyboard keys. I bought some replacement keys and fitted them within a few minutes.

robin_x 00:58 14 Jul 2011

Never never buy appliance insurance.

My bruv did same at £9 pcm and forgot to cancel.

It adds up, and forums are here to help peeps fix stuff.

proudfoot 12:56 14 Jul 2011

Maintanence insurance on electrical items and most other items is not worth paying for. Any item over £100 is generally covered by the Sales of Goods Act for up to 5 years generally if it fails due to faulty components etc. Fair wear and tear is excluded. You can ask for repair or refund of the cost on a sliding scale depending on the time since purchase. it can be sometimes a bit of a hassle but Consumer direct is excellent in giving advice and somtimes dictate a suitable letter over the phone. The same applies under £100 but sometimes it is not worth the hassle on cheaper items.

Luiza 18:27 14 Jul 2011

thank you very much

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?