PC World Health Check

watty123 21:47 04 May 2003

Hi, I read in PCAD about health check so took my old PC into the Preston shop.
Told it would take 20 mins or 1hour 3/4s depending on the PC.

4 and a 1/2 hours later it was in a worse state than when I took it in! And still not sorted.
I gave up and ask them to put in my windows 98 disc, I just wanted out of there.

Since I then have bought a new PC, guess where I didn't get it from!
Took some earlire advice from here and went to Evesham.

Have anyone else had all this trouble with health check???

Watty 123

hillybilly 01:22 05 May 2003

Sure have, went to Lakeside with 128Mb Ram installed. Asked for a health Check and upgrade to 512Mb Ram. At the end of the day I took it home with 896Mb Ram and it would not boot up, I ended up reformatting the drive and reinstalling. The ram problem? they installed uncompatible memory!

jeez 03:54 05 May 2003

My friend took his pc into pc world for a healthcheck and a ram upgrade (extra 256) it came back with a dead mobo and two fried 256mb ram modules, work that one out! (they did fix it though after he complained!)

hugh-265156 13:15 05 May 2003

i stupidly paid for an extended warranty on my purchase from pc world last october.whats done is done however and i now know better but this extra warranty entitles me to a free healthcheck each year and was toying with the idea of bringing my computer in for one.dont think ill bother.

Kryten 13:27 05 May 2003

brought a PC from PC World and had the extended warranty. The PC worked perfectly, until he took it in for a health check. When it came back it was slow and kept crashing. He got a friend of his to try to sort it out but was not much better. In the end he gave to to me to completely wipe the Hard Drive Re-partition and Re-install. Now works perfectly again an he wont be taking it back for a health check.

I had a Laptop from PC World 9 months ago with the extra warranty. It has worked flawlessly since I have had it, so I don't think I will let them get their grubby hands on it.

Tenner 13:40 05 May 2003

Did a searchm above : PCWorld AND Health Check and found the following click here

hope it helps

Regards

Tenner 13:48 05 May 2003

Oooops, didn't work, did it ? Sorry. Try :

PC World AND Health Check, hit 2nd radio button ( on RHS ) search all titles and threads, Consumer Watch and all discussions = that'll give about 6 threads with 60-odd postings over a number of years - time is not likely to be relevant, leopard and spots and all that !

Regrads

Fateful Shadow 14:11 05 May 2003

I took my PC into PC World for a health-check and I don't think my PC'S been this bad!

Has anyone else got one of those PC Performance certificates which entitles you to go into PC World when you have a problem with your computer so they can fix it? I have one and when I rang they gave me an appointment which was delayed for 3 weeks, they kept my computer in there about 1 week more than they were supposed to, and they STILL didn't fix my problem!

pj123 15:25 05 May 2003

What can I say????

We all know the answer.

Pilch.... 15:32 05 May 2003

Get a friend that knows what they are doing.

Most people know of someone that can do things like defrag, scan disk etc, all the basic's.

PC World i have known to charge a lot for upgrades that i could do for people for £15 rather than £50 as they originally tried to charge my bother in law for. I still go to PC World, but very rarely buy hard ware. I have only brought a joypad and the rest of the time it is software that i buy.

graham√ 17:06 05 May 2003

A friend took her PCWorld bought PC for a health check. When she got it back all her work files had gone as they had done a re-format, blaming AOL program!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?