PC World

helldriver 23:54 14 May 2010

In February 2010 I purchased a new Compaq laptop from PC World. It has developed a fault with the CD/DVD drive, the draw will not lock at times. I called into the store where I made the purchase and the assistant said that I needed to call techguys, they would order the part and would install it AT MY HOME. When I made the call I was informed that the laptop would need to be returned to their warehouse to be repaired. I went back to store this morning to query this and it took me about half an hour to get to speak to the manager. He confirmed that they could not repair laptops in store. I requested a replacement or refund as the goods were not fit for purpose but he refused. Trading standards suggested going to the small claims court and when I informed the store of this they now refuse to carry out a repair even though I have "whatever happens" cover for which I am paying £10.99 per month as well as the manufacturers 12 month cover. This is how a big store like PC World treats their customers, once they have your money they couldn't care less. I have emailed DSG head office and I am awaiting a reply before reporting back to trading standards as requested.

Forum Editor 00:37 15 May 2010

within six months of the date of purchase the store is liable for repair or replacement.

Any repair must be carried out within a reasonable time, and to your satisfaction. The store is liable, not a third party, and you cannot be refused a repair under consumer law.

LEGGGGY 19:49 15 May 2010

pc world id call them somet else, pre sales as with most places is good however post purchase and they dont want to know. as the forum editor says you have your statuary rights and pc world cannot refuse a repair or replacement.

ps ,,after some time arguing at the colchester branch i managed to get my 3 month old laptop repaired at store as i refused to send it elsewhere and i just kept on quoting my consumer rights... goodluck

helldriver 20:13 15 May 2010

Hi
Thanks for the replies. I will keep the forum informed of the progress, (or not), as the case may be.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Microsoft Paint set to die after 32 years

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment désactiver la saisie intuitive et paramétrer votre clavier ?