Pc wont work.

Raquelmanny 22:17 02 Aug 2004

Hi everyone, Just had a phone call from my father and he needs your help. He is running Win XP and it wont boot. It loads the windows logo then goes onto the loading barcode at the bottom of the screen. Then a blue screen flashes up but too quick for him to read what it says and then starts all over again. He cant start in safe mode or last known good configuration or command prompt. Please any ideas. Thanks.

AnthonyB 22:32 02 Aug 2004

Hasn't he got any recovery disks? for example, if that happened to me om my Hewlett packard, I would press F10, when the blue screen logo appears, and just follow the onscreen prompts, which allow me (in my case ) to "reset" the computer to its Factory settings., or do a full format. Can't remember, only did it oncne, But I do know that I retained all my files (more or less anyway)

What else I would do is enter Bios, unselect/select the Hard drive then see if it reboots. If not, i would open the case and take the IDE wires off the Hard drive, (fiddle about with them etc.) Failing all the above I would end up doing a format. I'm really A novice, so wait till someone comes along that knows what there doing, then maybe you will get help there.

Anthony

Anthony

TOMMO01 22:33 02 Aug 2004

If the PC cannot be started normally or in safe mode, then the easy options have been tried.

Your father will need to make sure the pc is set to boot from CD drive (can be set in the bios), insert the XP disk and restart the PC and keep tapping the space bar as soon as he switches it on, the follow the options until he sees a screen which allows you to reinstall windows leaving the file system intact, taje that route and that way, although it is messy he should be able to get into windows to backup data.

Personally, as soon as data is retrieved I would do a proper format and intall.

One thing to try, any new hardware fitted recently? If there has been, it may be the problem.

Good luck.

Raquelmanny 22:36 02 Aug 2004

I'll get on the phone now and see if it helps. Thanks.

AnthonyB 22:38 02 Aug 2004

That's assuming One has a XP Disk...I dont!

Raquelmanny 22:41 02 Aug 2004

He tried the space bar but the same thing no instructions came up. Anymore ideas before he treis to reformat?

He tried the space bar but the same thing no instructions came up. Anymore ideas before he tries to reformat?

He tried the space bar but the same thing no instructions came up. Anymore ideas before he tries to reformat?

Raquelmanny 22:43 02 Aug 2004

oops sorry!Trying to type and talk to him at the same time. Yes he has an xp disk. but wont boot from disk either unless hes doing something wrong.

VoG II 22:45 02 Aug 2004
  AnthonyB 22:46 02 Aug 2004

A////nymore ideas before he tries to reformat? ////

Depends whats on the Drive, whats been saved etc, if he's got 10 years hard unsaved/unbacked-up work on that drive, I would say he passes you the Hard Drive, so you can copy/backup his files. I've done quick formats in the years past - only to regret that patience pays off at the end of the day!

Anthony

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?