PC Won't stay 'signed in'

westwit 10:23 12 May 2006

My PC, which is not shared and only used at home, has suddenly stopped retaining all my log-in details, even though I have ticked the web site boxes such as: "keep me signed in on this computer", and have ticked the Firefox "remember this user name and password" box.

Anyone know why this should suddenly happen? I haven't deleted any cookies.

PC / OS details are: MESH Athlon 64 running Windows XP SP2.

Rich Pickings 12:29 12 May 2006

If you have installed spyware programmes these can sometimes delete cookies or stop websites from storing cookies on your system.
If using IE check in: Tools/Options/ then click the privacy tab, then the sites box. You can allow or block cookies for particular sites here.

Bagsey 17:18 12 May 2006

What is your ISP?? Is it BT??

westwit 18:13 12 May 2006

My ISP is Freedom to Surf (F2S). My ADSL modem is BT Voager 105. My browser is mostly Firefox, although I occasionally use IE if I have to for a particular site e.g. Microsoft update.

I haven't recently installed any anti spyware programs, but I run: Windows Defender, WinPatrol, AdAware SE Personal, Spyware Blaster and SpywareGuard. I use AVG Free antivirus and Windows XP Firewall.

I haven't changed any configuration recently (that I know of), which is why I can't understand why my PC should suddenly start doing this.

Joe R 18:17 12 May 2006

westwit,

do you use crap cleaner, or any other utility, to clear your internet cache etc.?

Stuartli 18:18 12 May 2006

Have you checked in Firefox's Tools>Options>Passwords tab that passwords etc is Enabled?

westwit 19:10 12 May 2006

Firefox "Remember Passwords" is ticked, and no - I don't use crapcleaner or anything else to clear my internet cache.

westwit 19:35 12 May 2006

btw - the PC does stay signed in as long as I don't close down and restart. So I can close Firefox and re-open it some time later and come back to this site and I'm still signed on, but first thing in the morning on starting up I have to enter username and password. This used not to happen - the PC remembered all the sign on settings whenever I revisited the sites, no matter how many close downs and restarts there had been.

westwit 17:57 14 May 2006

any thoughts anyone?

westwit 14:36 16 May 2006

^

westwit 23:22 21 Jun 2006

I have now purchased Spyware Doctor and disabled Windows Defender. Problem gone away, so I guess it was that.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Converse draws on iconic heritage for a fresh brand identity

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment lancer Windows 10 en mode sans ├ęchec ?