PC wont start at all - 'RAM LED'??

Radico 13:45 13 Sep 2006

PC wont start up at all. When the button is pressed, the CPU fan twitches and an LED on the motherboard lights up, below the words 'RAM LED':
click here

I have tried unplugging everything from the motherboard (except power obviously) and removing the RAM but the same happens.

The motherboard is a Gigabyte GA-7VA.

Any help much appreciated!

ACOLYTE 13:52 13 Sep 2006

You say cpu fan twitches,does it actually spin up?,the light you see is a normal part of the mobo and should light up.I would check the cpu is working and installed properly.

Radico 14:12 13 Sep 2006

The fan starts to spin but then immediately stops - more of a twitch than a spin since it picks up no speed and rotates only a tiny amount.

The CPU should be working fine - it has not just been installed, and has not been fiddled with.

The PC has been up and running; I have been using it before but no longer need it and am giving it to a friend. He had it running at his house, went out, and when he returned the PC was off and had the problem, so the cause is not known.

User-312386 14:18 13 Sep 2006

It sounds as if the CPU fan has failed/needs cleaning

Remove it and clean it with a paintbrush/softbrush and then reseat it.

bythor 15:21 13 Sep 2006

When I received a brand new pc the same thing ocurred. (I thought that the bios would still run then report fan or temperature fault on most mobos?) Anyway, turned out the connection from power supply to mobo wasn't fully home, removed and re-inserted and this seemed to do the trick - touch wood no problems for a year now.....shouldn't have said that!!!

Radico 22:42 26 Sep 2006

Still no luck - have cleaned the fan, even tried a different one, both times with same result. Also, the motherboard power supply is correctly seated.

Is it likely to be a problem with the motherboard or CPU?

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 23:06 26 Sep 2006

Most likely PSU failed.

PSU TEST
click here
click here

If renewing a PSU check:

1. The physical size of your PSU, some are hard to replace due to being a non standard size.
2. The amount of power need from the PSU don't skimp

1. Physical Dimensions

Besides the specs and form factors, the physical dimensions are also important factors in selecting a compatible power supply. Here is an outline of the physical dimensions of most standard power supplies:

# ATX: 6x3.5x5.5", HxWxD. Most common. Uses 4 mounting screws.
# Mini-ATX: 5x3.5x5", HxWxD. Rare size. Uses 4 mounting screws. Can be used in a regular ATX case, but often not the other way around.
# MicroATX: 5x3x4", HxWxD. Use 3 mounting screws. Not interchangeable with ATX or miniATX.
# Flex ATX: Even smaller than Micro ATX. Various sizes according to case specs; often not interchangeable.

Use the data above to determine if a particular power supply would fit your case.

The quality of a power supply can be estimated by its weight. While this is not a true scientific or thorough measurement of the power supply reliability, it is nevertheless a very simple and easy way for ordinary PC users to estimate and compare the quality of a power supply.

2. Power supply calculator click here

Guide to changing PSU
click here
click here

Radico 23:18 26 Sep 2006

PSU could be buggered even though the motherboard LED lights up, indicating that (at least some) power is reaching the motherboard?

Radico 22:24 05 Oct 2006

It was the PSU, thanks all for your help. Alas onto the next problem...

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone