PC won't start after scandisk

Hetti 19:12 09 Jul 2006

After I ran a scandisk I got the message "volume clean" then It started to load windows and at the point where it should show the desktop it shows black screen with the cusor arrow in the centre.
I run Win XP Pro.

Help please

ade.h 20:59 09 Jul 2006

Is Safe Mode accessible?

If not, use the Recovery Console (from the CD if you haven't installed it, which I would recommend you do).

Hetti 21:22 09 Jul 2006

ade.h
yes safe mode is accessible what should i do in safe mode?
I have XP disk also, but im a novice user can you advise further please?

ade.h 21:26 09 Jul 2006

Re-run Check Disk. Tick both boxes so that it needs to run after a reboot (before Windows loads).

Install the Rec Console while you're there, perhaps. Looks like you might need it.

See how that goes and we'll work from there.

Hetti 21:34 09 Jul 2006

ade.h

I got it started in safe mode thanks so much

Hetti 09:39 10 Jul 2006

ade.h

Just saw your last reply, forgive my ignorance, but how do I install Rec Console, as i said all is fine at the moment but if you thinks i may need it i will do as you suggest.

ade.h 14:25 10 Jul 2006

click here;en-us;307654

Quite straightforward to install. A bit more complex to use, but fine once you've familiarised yourself with the most useful commands.

TIP: By default, you will end up with 30 seconds waiting time when you start your PC unless you select which system to boot from. This is annoying for those of us who are lazy (LOL!) and don't want to have to press yet another button! The solution is to set the wait time to zero, which will actually give you 3 seconds. Enough time for when you need to select the RC.

Go to the properties of My Computer. Go to the Advanced tab. Select the Settings button next to Startup and Recovery. Change from 30 to 0 and Okay it.

ade.h 14:26 10 Jul 2006

Got caught out by the old-style MSKB links with the semi-colons. click here instead.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone