pc wont start after downloading winfixer

clarke33 16:15 25 Feb 2006

Hi, i stupidly followed advice from winfixer regarding spyware and paid for and downloaded their programme. Now the pc wont boot and i get an error page 'windows did not start successfully...' I have tried to rvert to last known good configuration but and taken back to the above screen. Then tried to boot in safe mode. The page changed iwth a list of drivers. But would not go any further and went back to orignianl screen.

Any help or advice greatly appreciated!

Diodorus Siculus 16:20 25 Feb 2006

ARe you on XP and do you have your CD?

If yes, boot with the CD and try a repair installation.

clarke33 16:27 25 Feb 2006

Many thanks. Yes on XP. I dont have an XP disk but have a sytem recovery CD ROM which came iwth the laptop. Is this what you mean?
Cheers

Diodorus Siculus 16:31 25 Feb 2006

If you use the recovery disk, you are at risk of losing everything on the hard drive as it may format and reinstall.

There may be an option for a non destructive install - take a look.

clarke33 16:38 25 Feb 2006

Hi, there wasd not option, i put in the disk and i now have a bright blue screen with the pc whiring away, I think it might be doing a reisntall, but as it wouldnt even boot into safe mode I dont see what other optiont here was. Will post back to let you know how i am getting on.
Thanks

clarke33 16:49 25 Feb 2006

Hi,
i have now got a system recovery screen, it has gone through the following stages:
select recovery option
hard disk preparation
copy files

now on changing cd rom. it is a=sking me to isert update cds but i dont have any. It says that if i dont have any update cds then to call a premium rate help line.
What happens if i just move onto next and then update XP and drivers manually?

Cheers

Diodorus Siculus 16:49 25 Feb 2006

OK good luck with that.

Diodorus Siculus 17:03 25 Feb 2006

Move onto the next section and see.

Sorry about last post - I didn't see yours before it.

clarke33 17:47 25 Feb 2006

Hi, many thanks for your help on this,. I have ended up with a clean install, but at least it is wroking. I MUST remeber to back up in future as i have lost everthing!!

Help much appreciated!

stalion 18:02 25 Feb 2006

for future reference click here

stalion 20:27 25 Feb 2006

^^

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

WPA2 hack: How secure is your Wi-Fi?

Microsoft Surface Book 2 hands-on review – bigger and 5x faster

Best kids apps for iPhone & iPad

Que faire si son iPhone ou iPad est tombé dans de l'eau ?