PC won't start

FnG 01:37 26 Oct 2008

My PC is running XP SP2. I went to work leaving it burning a cd. When I came home it was off. I switched it on, it gets to the first screen (black background, white writing) where it tells you about processor speed, ram, etc, then it just switches off completely. I've tried switching it back on, same happens again and again. We haven't had a power cut or surge when I was in work. Any ideas? has the hard disc failed? Processor burnt out? Would a virus do this? Please help!!

ambra4 01:22 26 Oct 2008

It could be an overheating problem, or a bad power supply unit open the case and check that all

the fans are running

Check that the power supply fan is spinning, as a bad fan will cause the unit to over heat and
shut down

ambra4 01:31 26 Oct 2008

Not to sure how my posting ended up above the original request

It could be an overheating problem, or a bad power supply unit open the case and check that all

the fans are running

Check that the power supply fan is spinning, as a bad fan will cause the unit to over heat and
shut down

birdface 10:09 26 Oct 2008

You posted before he asked the question.Weird. Fng see if it will start in safe mode last good configuration.Make sure there are no discs in any of the drives.

FnG 10:48 26 Oct 2008

It won't start in safe mode as it doesn't even get to post. Powers off in about 4 - 5 seconds after switching on. I'll check the fan on the psu and get back to you. Ta.

ambra4 11:26 26 Oct 2008

buteman

Not sure what happen as you said "Weird" as I tried

it twice

FnG 12:41 26 Oct 2008

Thanks for your advice, but I know what the problem is now. The heatsink was loose from the CPU, so it was obviously overheating. One of the fixings on the motherboard where the heatsink clips hold it down onto the CPU has snapped. Not sure how that's happened as it hasn't been moved or knocked about. I'm trying to glue the clip back into the right place. Not sure if it'll work or not. If it does, great, if it doesn't, looks like a new motherboard just for the sake of one small bit of plastic! Thanks again for the responses.

FnG 12:43 26 Oct 2008

Oh, and I have a theory about the postings in the wrong order... Are they posted in time order? The clocks changed last night from British Summer Time to GMT. So, could depend on whether my clocks had changed before yours or vice versa. Make sense?

ambra4 14:45 26 Oct 2008

FnG

“The clocks changed last night from British Summer Time to GMT”

Make very good sense, was thinking that something was wrong with my Firefox browser

Hope you can fix the CPU socket and not have to change the motherboard

Good luck

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

What went wrong at the Designs of the Year 2017

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment regarder des séries et talk-shows américains en France ?