PC won't standby

honeysuckle 23:21 18 Feb 2009

My Pc Won't go into standby. When I put it into standby mode it goes off then immediately restarts. I was told this might be due to the mouse or keyboard waking it up but I have tried a new mouse and keyboard and still get same problem.
I have checked the power options and standby is enabled there but in the advanced options I only have one drop down menu for the power button.
Also in the UPS there is a yellow triangle saying the UPS service is currently stopped. Should it be and if not how do I restart it.

gengiscant 09:09 19 Feb 2009

UPS is Uninterruptable Power Supply, which is a device that keeps your PC running for a short time after a power failure. Most models these days also include surge suppression.

If you don't have a UPS unit installed, don't worry about it. If you do have a UPS unit and it is working,properly, I wouldn't worry about it either.

As for your main problem,have a look here.
click here=

oldbeefer2 15:46 19 Feb 2009

This cured it for me click here

honeysuckle 16:50 19 Feb 2009

I forgot to mention I am running XP. Where will I find the logs to check if there is something preventing the PC from going into standby and how do I find the device manager

gengiscant 07:41 20 Feb 2009

Device manager can be found in start-Control panel-System-hardware-Device manager.

Logs can be found by right clicking my computer on the desktop- scroll to manage- click on event viewer.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?