pc wont restart sfter chkdsk on XP

steh79 09:34 13 Mar 2011

Hi, I run chkdsk on my pc and have to restart it to start the checks.
It goes onto the chkdsk blue screen and performs checks, repairs and deletes things for over an hour.
Then it finalizes and says "please wait for your computer to restart" but it doesn't. I have to press the power button for 7 seconds to turn it on. The repairs and fixes have not been corrected when i run chkdsk again.
My pc is working fine, but would like to have it running 100%.
Hope someone can help, thank you.

User-312386 09:50 13 Mar 2011

Do you get a flashing cursor at the end of chkdsk? If so type exit

gengiscant 09:50 13 Mar 2011

As you have failed to mention what operating system you are using it is difficult to give the applicable advice.

steh79 09:52 13 Mar 2011

windows xp.

steh79 09:53 13 Mar 2011

No flashing cursor either.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 09:56 13 Mar 2011

I think from the title its XP :0)

Looks like its shutting down and not restarting to do the chkdsk on start.

Check Disk Prevent Upon Boot (Line 294) click here
reverse these changes in the registy

or
if the volume dirty bit is set, eachtime Windows XP starts, autochk.exe is called by the kernel to scan all volumes. If the dirty bit is set, autochk performs an immediate chkdsk /f on that volume. Chkdsk /f verifies file system integrity and attempts to fix any problems with the volume.
It is usually caused by a hard shut down or a power loss during a read-write operation on that particular drive.

First click Start> Run> and bring up a command prompt by typing in "CMD" and then type "fsutil dirty query d:" but without the quotes. This queries the drive, and more than likely it will tell you that it is dirty. Next, type "CHKNTFS /X D:". The X tells Windows to NOT check that particular drive on the next reboot. At this time, manually reboot your computer, it should not do a Chkdsk and take you directly to Windows.

Once Windows has fully loaded, bring up another CMD prompt and now you want to do a Chkdsk manually by typing "Chkdsk /f /r d:". This should take you through 5 stages of the scan and will unset that dirty bit. Finally, type "fsutil dirty query d:" and Windows will confirm that the dirty bit is not set on that drive. Good luck!

steh79 10:13 13 Mar 2011

it is shutting down and performing the checks, its just when its finished, it says please wait will your computer restarts, but it doesn't.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 10:34 13 Mar 2011

Just do the manual check (last bit as posted above)

gengiscant 10:35 13 Mar 2011

Thank you for pointing out what my eyes failed to do.

steh79 10:55 13 Mar 2011

ok, thanks Will have a try later. Will let you know. Thanks.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

Illustrator Sylvain Tegroeg created thousands of intricate line drawings for the mobile game…

Best iPad buying guide 2017

Comment télécharger une application indisponible en France ?