PC won't recognise new sony handycam

armouredbear 16:10 28 Sep 2005

I've followed the manufacturers istallation instructions but at the point where "found new hardware window" should appear, nothing happens.

If I check in "my computer" there is again no new drive to click.

If I plug in my daughters Iriver mp3 player, no problem.

Also a pentax digital camera is instantly recognised.

TIA

Bear.

Kenneth-266656 16:16 28 Sep 2005

Presumably it's a USB2 connection. Did you install the drivers at the correct stage during the installation?

De Marcus™ 16:19 28 Sep 2005

If you're using xp, try uninstalling all the software that came with the camera abd plugging it in without the manufacturers software. Xp does a good job on it's own.

scotty 16:31 28 Sep 2005

Some camcorders have both USB and Firewire (Sony call it iLink or something similar) with the usb intended for downloading photographs and the firewire for video. What connections does your camera have? Firewire is not recognised in the same way as USB. Do you have any video editing software? You should find that the camera is recognised in that program.

Give details of the model of Sony and you might get a more specific answer.

armouredbear 20:30 28 Sep 2005

Hi scotty,

Well done my friend, spot on.

I need an I-link cable which very annoyingly was not supplied with the camcorder, although the usb cable was ??????

Perfectly understandable of course as it's highly unlikely that any "Sony Handycam customers" would also possess anything as unusual as a PC! ;O)

Thanks for your help,

Bear.

john-232317 22:24 28 Sep 2005

You will probably need a firewire card as well, they come with a cable included ;-) so dont buy the cable first.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Galaxy Note 8 vs iPhone X

Awful clip art from 1994 is being tweeted every hour by a bot

iPhone X vs Samsung Galaxy Note 8

Les meilleurs navigateurs internet 2017