pc wont recognise most plug and play items

den61 19:08 16 Mar 2008

my pc a medion 8818 about a year old is driving me mad, "nearly everything i plug in is not recognised
even medion's own 500gb hhdrivetogo which slots into the top of the pc is shking for a driver,some other things are medion stand alone dvd burner two pen drives my videocam (connected with firewire cable)
thing that do work are a databar flashdrive,a seperate card reader,and my digital camera, these show up as drive letters j,k,l, and so on,the items that dont work show in device manager as a yellow question mark, these items have worked on this pc in the past,ive tried uninstalling lots of things that are not essential and also tried system restore but nothing has worked, does anyone have any suggestions
besides scrapping the pc
thanks Den

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 19:17 16 Mar 2008

and only a year old:-

Backup all your documents, photos and e-mails etc.
you want/ need.
Then restore to factory condition

den61 10:44 17 Mar 2008

ime only going to do that as a last resort,but there seems to be lots of people with similar problems that their pc wont recognise some plug and play items, its a fault so there must be a remedy,but no one seems to know what it is.
Den

den61 14:37 19 Mar 2008

i tried using a load of universal drivers that i downloaded,but they didn't cure the problem so i gave up and put the pc back to factory condition,which was very easy because i had the disc for doing it, put the things i wanted to keep on the external hard drive which slots into the top of medion pc's and everything is working as it should.
Den

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

What went wrong at the Designs of the Year 2017

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment regarder des séries et talk-shows américains en France ?