PC won't recognise 2nd hard drive after format.

totty102 17:04 24 Dec 2004

This is my fiance's Pc so I am a bit unsure of the finer details, however...
This is a HP PC - 1.9ghz processor and 512mb RAM It has 2 hard drives which are factory fitted and everythigns been ok. When the PC was sold to a family friend, the hard drives were formatted and all drivers were reinstalled so it was a clean slate for the new owners. However the PC isnt recognising the 2nd hard drive at all. In Device Manager, there are 3 yellow question marks. One for a USB device (which I beleive to be the speakers as the driver wasnt installed) and 2 for the 'video controller'.
Are these linked to the problem and how can the hard drive be recognised? In the process of searching HP website.
Thanks and Merry Christmas

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 17:23 24 Dec 2004

Fit 2nd HDD
click here
click here

Hve a look at the section regaerding setting up the drive.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 17:23 24 Dec 2004

Hard disk tools :-
Seatools click here
WD Data lifeguard click here
Maxblast3 click here

buscrew 17:29 24 Dec 2004

An HP PC should have a 2GB hidden partition, used to reset the PC to factory condition. This is used in conjunction with the supplied rescue disk. If you don't have these they can be purchased from HP. If you go to the "MY PC" section of the HP support site you can find the make and model of your PC and download any drivers IE modem, graphics card etc that you require. By far the easiest route is to use the rescue disk if you have it.

totty102 17:50 24 Dec 2004

Thanks buscrew.
So do I just use the rescue disk and it should help to find the 2nd hard drive?

buscrew 17:58 24 Dec 2004

If you use the rescue disk the PC will be set to exactly the same condition that it was when purchased, with all relevant software and drivers. You may need the Windows installation key again, which you should find on the side of the PC. You will however lose all data and software installed on the PC since purchase so please back up anything that you want.

totty102 11:10 27 Dec 2004

UPDATE:
The Pc doesnt have 2 hard drives but 1 which is partitioned into 2 sections (10gb and 20gb). When the hard drives were working perfect, one was 'C'and the other was 'D', CD drive was 'E' etc. Since the PC has been formatted using rescue disk, the letters of drives have changed around with 'D' now being the CD drive. Would changing the letters of the drives help..or do I need to partition the drive myself:?

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 12:02 27 Dec 2004

Is the new C 30G? if so then you will need to repartion.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?