PC won't reboot

Ian in Northampton 09:21 08 Sep 2010

Anyway, repeated attempts to reboot it have seen the following:

1. It often will not boot past the memory test – it either powers itself off, or reboots.
2. Trying to reboot it in safe mode, when it will get past the memory test, shows it hanging at the point where mup.sys is trying to load. This looks like it’s not an uncommon problem.
3. However, all the fixes I’ve found for the mup.sys problem involve booting from the XP CD. This again sees the PC either power down altogether or restart.

I initially suspected a memory problem, and have checked to ensure the memory is properly seated.

However, I’m now struggling with whether this is a hardware problem that’s causing the system to continually reboot or power itself off, or whether it’s a software/XP problem. And without being able to reload XP, I’m struggling.

Anyone have any thoughts?

woodchip 09:27 08 Sep 2010

First thing to check, Remove Plugs to all Drives then see if it will boot to BIOS or a Dos Screen. If it does it may be the main Hard Drive that's corrupt or Faulty, connect one at a time with power off and try booting until it won't

Ian in Northampton 09:59 08 Sep 2010

Woodchip, thanks. You mean disconnect the hard drives?

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 10:11 08 Sep 2010

If its switching off that early suspect:

Heat - clean out all dust from fans and heat sinks

PSU failing - try a substitute PSU

Memory bad - try one stick at a time or run memtest from DOS click here

Mup.sys is actually the last device to load correctly the one that is failing is the next one after mup.sys

Once you have got it to stay switched on, you can then do a repair install from CD.

woodchip 10:31 08 Sep 2010

Yes, a Faulty Hard Drive can also stop a PC dead before it starts, I had one that I took back to PCworld, they tried it several times then replaced it, it may have shorted inside thereby draining all the power. It gave the look of a PSU failure

Ian in Northampton 10:33 08 Sep 2010

Thanks guys. Frustratingly, I'm about to go away for a few days, so this is going to have to wait. Why do these things happen at the most inconvenient times? Thank goodness I have a spare PC...

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?