PC won't power up - Urgent

msmall 16:27 11 May 2007

A couple weeks ago my roommate removed the video card from my desktop to test in his PC. At this time my computer was working fine. After putting it back in, I plugged the power cord in and tried to start it up. At this point it wouldnt start when I pressed the power button, and I saw smoke coming from the case and removed the cord. I assumed there was something wrong with the power supply, and my assumptions were more or less confirmed as the smoke appeared to be coming from there as well as a burning smell.
I did notice however that the little green LED on my motherboard was still on when the power cord was plugged in.

I removed everything and installed it in my roommates case. Upon pressing the power button, the cpu fan would spin for a second and then stop. The green LED is on here as well.

Anyone have any idea what is going on with my desktop? Keep in mind that I tried this with two different PSU's. Thanks a lot.

woodchip 16:30 11 May 2007

Took two weeks for it to become - Urgent

Give us more info where the smoke was comming from. Was it from the Back top Hole?

Strawballs 16:32 11 May 2007

It could be that the motherboard had died, try disconnecting everything except the cooling fan and 1 stick of memory and see if you get a post screen on the monitor and if that does not work have you got access to another stick of memory?

msmall 18:57 11 May 2007

Ok, I suppose not SUPER urgent... it just happened right when I was planning to sell it.

Yes, I believe the smoke was coming from the back, top hole

woodchip 20:43 11 May 2007

it needs a new power supply top back box.

msmall 20:45 11 May 2007

I already tried it with a second power supply... the cpu fan spun for about a second, and then stopped. Thats the only activity that happened

phono 20:50 11 May 2007

It is possible that the PSU has damaged other components connected to it. I have seen two such cases where every component in the PC was damaged when the PSU died.

msmall 20:53 11 May 2007

In which case... I basically scrap it?

woodchip 21:09 11 May 2007

That happened to me

msmall 21:10 11 May 2007

That would definitely suck...

phono 21:35 11 May 2007

Can you use your roommate's PC to try the various components in? RAM, video card, drives and so on, possibly the CPU as well if it will fit of course.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Microsoft Paint set to die after 32 years

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment désactiver la saisie intuitive et paramétrer votre clavier ?