pc wont go into Standby/sleep mode

charles60 23:56 20 Oct 2010

My pc which has windows Vista will now not go into either standby/sleep mode. Have tried changing power options etc also a free bit of software called MCE Standby tool which at the beginning worked fine but now that wont work when i press the standby/sleep button.Have tried uninstalling the MCE software and reinstalling it but it still it did not work I am now at a lost why its happened and why I cant get it back. any help to get it back i will be gratefully. Thanks PS I am very new to pc`s and i am a bit of a old fart so make it easy.

gengiscant 07:46 21 Oct 2010
  northumbria61 13:01 21 Oct 2010

Have you done this -
1) In the start search bar type Power Options and hit enter.
2) On the left you should see some options "Choose what the (name) button does".
3) If you're using a laptop you should have some options such as "Shutdown Button", "Sleep Button", "On lid close", etc.
4) Most likley your Sleep Button setting is set to "Do Nothing". Make the desired changes and exit.

If you have already done that it could be your mouse -
Mouse: Easy solution . Do this:
Control Panel -> Device Manager -> Mouse -> Right-click your specific mouse -> Properties -> Power Management tab -> uncheck "Allow this device to wake the computer"

northumbria61 13:04 21 Oct 2010

Also see here click here

Burn-it 13:48 21 Oct 2010

Here as well??

charles60 14:09 21 Oct 2010

Thanks to all of you. Now sorted hopefully what was happing is that i have a Pure Internet radio which was sharing my network media which was stopping it go into stand by or sleep right clicked multi media settings where it says "When sharing media chose Allow computer to go to sleep." just want to say a big thank you guys for given up your free time to sort this out for me I am very gratfull

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

50 best online Adobe XD tutorials

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment connecter un MacBook à une TV ?