PC won't format 250GB hard drive

noiro 01:27 22 Jan 2006

I attempted to add a 250 GB hard drive to my PC, 3.0 Ghz, GA-8S648FX MB with 1 Gig DDR Ram. When I boot my PC and go into the bios, it sees the PC, however when the PC boots it doesn't show it in control panel or in "My Computer". I am running Windows XP Pro 2nd Edition and am frustrated. I have the most current bios for my motherboard and Gigabyte says it should be no problem on their end. So what am I doing wrong? I have tried both setting drives as Cable Select and also Master/Slave. I have tried setting it up with the original Windows XP Pro disk but it only sees 137MB. Any ideas? I got a real good deal so I bought 2 of these 250 GB drives for my PCs, too bad they can't see the. BTW, both PCs are the same motherboard only difference is that one of the PCs is a 2.8 Ghz CPU (INTEL). Thanks

Totally-braindead 01:36 22 Jan 2006

Try going to the drive manufacturers website and download their tools and use this to format. There is an issue with drives above 137mb but I thought this was solved with XP.

gudgulf 01:54 22 Jan 2006

From Windows go to Start>My Computer....right click it and select Manage.Now double click on Disk Management.You should see the drive listed as something like raw......right click it and select format(use NTFS for a large drive) and let Windows format the drive.You wont see the new drive in Device Manager or My Computer until it is formatted.

Alternative do as Totally-Braindead suggests and download a tool from the drive manufacturer or use a third party disc manager such as Acronis True Image or Partition Magic to partition and format the drive.

phono 01:56 22 Jan 2006

You beat me to it.

noiro 04:11 22 Jan 2006

Thanks much gudgulf, that worked perfectly. It worked in both PCs and now they are ready to rumble.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Converse draws on iconic heritage for a fresh brand identity

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment lancer Windows 10 en mode sans ├ęchec ?