PC won't detect wireless network

paulhicko 12:35 18 Aug 2006

My daughter's iBook G4 connects to our wireless network easily but my Windows desktop PC will not.

Because my desktop does not have an ethernet point I set up network through laptop, with a Netgear DG834G modem/router. I then installed a Netgear WG111v2 wireless USB adaptor to desktop. Things were fine for a couple of months, then signal strength began to fall, connection would drop and now I can't connect at all. It can't seem to find the network. Meanwhile, the laptop has been fine.

I've tried uninstalling and reinstalling the adaptor, downloading new drivers, even trying another adaptor (C&W). I've moved the router to other phone points, and even moved the computer.

If it was the adaptor then surely fitting the new one would sort it. If it was router, then surely laptop wouldn't work. But it's been fine (just as well). Which leaves PC settings. I don't know where to start. Can anyone help?

paulhicko 12:51 18 Aug 2006

I meant to add that when the PC comes on the adaptor scans for networks but can't find the one the laptop is using. A couple of weeks ago it was detecting the network but signal strength was too low to connect. Now it doesn't detect anything at all.

paulhicko 12:51 18 Aug 2006

I meant to add that when the PC comes on the adaptor scans for networks but can't find the one the laptop is using. A couple of weeks ago it was detecting the network but signal strength was too low to connect. Now it doesn't detect anything at all.

FelixTCat 14:31 18 Aug 2006

paulhicko,

Do you mean that it isn't finding any network at all, or just not finding your network?

Have you changed the wireless network security settings?

Regards,

Felix

ade.h 15:38 18 Aug 2006

click here Is the same problem or different?

paulhicko 17:56 18 Aug 2006

It's the same problem...still unsolved. I thought I would try again.

It's not detecting any network at all. Whereas before it would scan, find network straight away but be able to connect, now it's not finding any network. I'm unaware of changing any security settings.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

Is this the future of VR and AR?

Best iPad buying guide 2017

Comment regarder le Bureau des L├ęgendes en ligne ?