Pc wont boot to windows..after power surge.

skell 16:59 30 Jul 2006

Last night i lost all power to the house and was left sat in darkness. Unfortunately today it looks like my comp has been damaged.

i did have a surge protector but thats been damaged too. must have been some spike.

ive manged to boot up the pc using my windows disk but it took some twicking to get it to boot. I think i could have a faulty hard drive.

my splash screen comes up ok, then the post beep ok, but the drive spins and doesnt seem to complete its spin and whurrs to a stop. the pc powers down and then tries to boot up again going over the same sequence. does this sound like the drive is damaged or maybe corrupted windows?

any help appreciated. thx

skell 17:14 30 Jul 2006

I have found out by chance that if i boot the pc up without my broadband modem connected it boots up ok - not exactly how it use to but at least it boots up. Could this meen the moden is faulty? even though i am able to connect to the internet ok.

FelixTCat 17:20 30 Jul 2006

skell,

Is it a USB modem?

Could the surge have reset the BIOS in some way that it is trying to boot from a USB device, which it can't?

Try looking in the BIOS for the boot settings.

Regards,

Felix

rawprawn 17:22 30 Jul 2006

Try network connections uninstall reboot then reinstall

rawprawn 17:25 30 Jul 2006

Hold that go to your Network Connection /Right Click select Repair

skell 17:33 30 Jul 2006

im using an ethernet connection (NTL btw)

@ resawn the network connection seem fine but ill try a repair anyways. thx

be back soon with results.

skell 17:37 30 Jul 2006

tried the repair and it popped up an error.. said it failed and i need to contact my ISP. hmmm..

i have two comps networked so im just going to try and boot the other PC and see what happens.

skell 17:43 30 Jul 2006

Strange... the other comp boots ok . retried repair again and this time repair was successful.

gonna try and boot whilst connected.

skell 17:49 30 Jul 2006

Seems like its fixed.. done a restore from cmd prompt in save mode, repaired network connections as suggested. thx rawprawn. finger crossed all is well now.

thx again.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone