PC won't boot into windows

Never again 19:51 20 Sep 2009

Hi Guys...

I've been away for a while, but one of my friends at work has given me a broken pc to have a go on, which actually requires your expert attention.

It apparently went wrong when an NTL update was applied, but from what I can gather is running windows XP.

I have no discs apart from my own copy of XP but there is a license sticker on the back of the tower.

I would rather recover than reinstall if possible.

Anyway, on 1st boot it looks ok until a fatal error message appears that prevents setup from continuing. the registry could not be updated to address the problem and the advice is to contact the computer manufacturer which is Carrera.

F8 into last good configuration gives me another error message which reads "windows could not start because the following files are missing or corrupt - windows\system32\configasystem". you can attempt to repair this by starting windows setup using the original cdrom - select R at the first screen to select repair ( but as we all know this is the recovery console option).

Booting into safe mode tells me that windows is not fully installed and to run setup again.

BIOS options detect the HDD.

There is an F10 option to start an internal recovery process, but this is probably manufacturer specific, which I would rather not explore until all other options are exhausted.

Your advice would be much appreciated.

Thank you

VoG II 20:05 20 Sep 2009

This is due to a corrupted registry (probably). You can try this click here but note the caveats about OEM installations of Windows. If you try it you should be able to use your own XP CD but insert the product ket from the poorly PC's sticker when prompted.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 20:06 20 Sep 2009

Repair XP by install over the top of existing system

1. Boot the computer using the XP CD. You may need to change the boot order in the system BIOS so the CD boots before the hard drive. Check your system documentation for steps to access the BIOS and change the boot order.

2. When you see the "Welcome To Setup" screen, you will see This portion of the Setup program prepares Microsoft Windows XP to run on your computer:

To setup Windows XP now, press ENTER.

To repair a Windows XP installation using Recovery Console, press R.

To quit Setup without installing Windows XP, press F3.

3. Press Enter to start the Windows Setup.

To setup Windows XP now and Repair Install , press ENTER.

DO NOT choose "To repair a Windows XP installation using the Recovery Console, press R", (you Do Not want to load Recovery Console).

4. Accept the License Agreement and Windows will search for existing Windows installations.

5. Select the XP installation you want to repair from the list and press R to start the repair.

6. Setup will copy the necessary files to the hard drive and reboot.

Do not press any key to boot from CD when the message appears.

Setup will continue as if it were doing a clean install, but your applications and settings will remain intact.

Repair XP
click here

Never again 21:01 20 Sep 2009

I never expected to get the top 2 experts at the beginning of my thread.

now.. Fruit Bat /\0/\...

after entering setup I don't get the same options. I have to f8 to accept and then I get partition information, including enter to install or d=delete partition or f3 to quit.

One of the partitions is caled -:partition 2 (EISA utlities) 4181mb (1979 mb free) and the other c: partiton1 (unknown) 19023mb all of which is free.

d: partition1 (ntfs) 194474 mb of which 194402 mb are free.

I'm going to try VoG's suggestion now, but I thought I'd better post this 1st.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 21:12 20 Sep 2009

Can you load recover console?
If so you can restore by:

Select your Windows installation, then type the administrator password – press Enter if there isn't one.
Now enter the following commands:

CD C:\
CD "system volume information\_resto~1"
DIR

You'll see a list of restore point folders with names such as RP1, RP2 and so on. Pick the restore point you wish to use, using the folder date stamps to guide you. Enter the commands:

CD RPx (the restore point you chose)
CD SNAPSHOT

This takes you into the folder containing the restore point snapshot files. Copy the Registry backups so that they overwrite the existing Registry files.

COPY _Registry_machine_system C:\Windows\System32\Config\System
COPY _Registry_machine_software C:\Windows\System32\Config\Software
COPY _Registry_machine_sam C:\Windows\System32\Config\Sam
COPY _Registry_machine_security C:\Windows\System32\Config\Security
COPY _Registry_user_.default C:\Windows\System32\Config\Default

Type the command exit to close the Recovery Console and restart the PC.

Never again 20:18 22 Sep 2009

The installed programme pc angel system recovery did not work, and I'm now informed it was a norton update which crashed it - not an NTL one!!

Anyway, I've loaded recovery console from the cd and when I DIR the c drive I get the message that an eror occurred during directory enumeration?

The D drive DIR says that there are 3 files. one with a bunch of numbers and letters, one called recycler, and the other system volume information.

E and F drives are dvd drives.

The commands in the message above are not recognised?

How can I tell where the windows installation is?

Your suggestions would be most welcome.

Never again 20:24 22 Sep 2009

The 1st suggestion by VoG just gives me an access is denied message.

oh, and I was not prompted for an administrators password.

Can I edit the windows registry or use a windows restore point if I boot from an Unbuntu cd?

woodchip 20:28 22 Sep 2009

Have you tried your own XP CD then choose Setup, let Windows look for a Operating System, if it finds one Click it then Press R

Never again 20:34 22 Sep 2009

I tried it and got as far as the accepting the agreement by pressing f8 step, but lost my nerve as I dont really want to lose his original instalation if possible.

Never again 21:10 22 Sep 2009

I just did a chkdsk on the c drive whilst awaiting advice and it has indicated that there are one or more errors on the volume.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 21:29 22 Sep 2009

click here

chkdsk /p /r but it will take a long while

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

The Evil Within 2 review-in-progress

InVision Studio takes on Adobe XD and Sketch

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment transformer un iPhone en borne Wi-Fi ?