PC wont boot up ugent help

golfpro 07:24 21 Feb 2009

I was listening as always to a radio program this morning when my PC just shut down without any warning. I tried rebooting as normal but nothing happened. After about five minuets I tried again and still nothing, so I switched it off at at the mains switch on the back and switched it on again it started to boot but shut down again almost immediately, it did this twice so I'm stuck now. Anybody any ideas what I should try next and most importantly what it could be.
The PC is about four years old running Windows XP this is the first time I have had any problems.

ened 08:02 21 Feb 2009

Not much info.

But if you are happy to go into the case open it up annd check all the fans are operating - especially the one on the heatsink for the cpu.

golfpro 10:37 21 Feb 2009

I've had the side off and cleaned it out (there was quite a lot of muck in there (I didn't want to go as far as taking the heat sink fan off completely), but it still wont start up from the boot switch on the front of the PC, if I switch it on from the main switch on the back it boots for a split second and the fans go round but then it drops out again. So I'm back to square one. Its beginning to look like a repair job.

Demora 10:46 21 Feb 2009

Could be the PSU. If its the original that came installed then its more than likely. Have you added any new hardware that would maybe drain

Pamy 10:53 21 Feb 2009

Not sure you should have any reaction by switching the power on from the back, the front button is the one that should start some action. try removing connection of the front switch from motherboard and re-connecting(just to be sure of a good connection

ened 12:55 21 Feb 2009

Following on from what Pamy says: what happens if you try to start it with the reset switch?

If everything is firing up and then it shuts down it does sound like an overheating problem.

Have you checked that the heatsink hasn't come loose? Just one corner not locked down could cause this.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 13:08 21 Feb 2009

If fans just "twitch" then PSU or motherboard or CPU dead.

Replacement PSU is cheapest thing to try

PSU TEST
click here
click here

If renewing a PSU check:

1. The physical size of your PSU, some are hard to replace due to being a non standard size.
2. The amount of power need from the PSU don't skimp.
3 The correct connections for your equipment

1. Physical Dimensions

Besides the specs and form factors, the physical dimensions are also important factors in selecting a compatible power supply. Here is an outline of the physical dimensions of most standard power supplies:

# ATX: 6x3.5x5.5", HxWxD. Most common. Uses 4 mounting screws.
# Mini-ATX: 5x3.5x5", HxWxD. Rare size. Uses 4 mounting screws. Can be used in a regular ATX case, but often not the other way around.
# MicroATX: 5x3x4", HxWxD. Use 3 mounting screws. Not interchangeable with ATX or miniATX.
# Flex ATX: Even smaller than Micro ATX. Various sizes according to case specs; often not interchangeable.

Use the data above to determine if a particular power supply would fit your case.

The quality of a power supply can be estimated by its weight. While this is not a true scientific or thorough measurement of the power supply reliability, it is nevertheless a very simple and easy way for ordinary PC users to estimate and compare the quality of a power supply. Why weight matters click here

2. Power supply calculator click here

3. Correct connections
Some boards have 20 pin connectors others 24 pin
There is often a 4 pin plug required to power Intel CPUs
Molex D plugs for IDE HDD and CD/DVD drives
SATA power connections for latest HDDs and DVD drives.

Guide to changing PSU
click here
click here

howard64 16:12 21 Feb 2009

try removing your video card and trying to start again. I had a card with a short circuit on it and it shut down my pc and would not let me start up again. I happened to be looking in the case as I tried to start and saw a spark on the video card. With it removed the pc started obviously without a picture but fans ran and lots of beeps.

gazzaho 17:19 21 Feb 2009

It might also be worth unplugging/removing all PCI cards/drives but the graphics card and boot drive in order to make the strain on the PSU as little as possible in order to see if it will start.

ashleycardwell94 01:02 22 Feb 2009

I had the same problem as you. Did you see any smoke come from your computer???
This happended to me and a saw smoke pouring out of the back. it also blew a fuse. I recomend that you get a new PSU and/or another mothrboard that is identical to your original one so all you have to do is fit it and transfer all of the goods. If you have recently moved the PC the motherboard may be loose and arcing against the casing od the tower. In my case the PSU was broken AND it buggered up my motherboard. I tried a different PSU it and would boot up for 5seconds and the CPU fan stopped turning. MY GUESS IS THE MOTHERBOARD IS NOW A DUD.

golfpro 05:17 22 Feb 2009

Thanks for all the replies, but I have decided to take it in for repair instead of fiddling with it myself I think in the long run it will be cheaper and less time consuming.
By the way there was "No smoke" and no smell of burning.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Lightwell software lets you create mobile apps without using code

Best value Mac: Which is the best £1249 Mac to buy

Comment désactiver les programmes qui s'exécutent au démarrage de Windows 10 ?