PC won't boot and subsequent graphics card problem

Stukes 18:42 08 Mar 2007

Hi all,

I've trawled the forum to find a similar problem but to no avail. Hopefully someone will be able to help me...

Last Thursday I used my PC before going to work and it was fine. When I came home I turned it on and it would not boot at all. Instead I got two really quick beeps, then eight normal ones, then a gap, then two then one more! I tried turning it on and off a few more times. The fourth time the PC started and got all the way to the desktop but then it died for good.

After looking online the beeps seemed to point to a problem with the graphics card. You guys will know better than me but I reasoned that as the PC came on that one time the problem was probably with the card rather than the slot on the motherboard. To double check, I put the card into my brother's PC and that made pretty much the same beeps and wouldn't start up. Sadly, he didn't have a card in his PC that I could try in mine.

Anyway, I did a bit of detective work and found that my graphics card was rubbish and about 8 years old. I tried to work out what I needed to replace it and, thinking I had it worked out, bought a nice shiny new one from Dabs.

I put the new graphics card into my PC last night but the d**n thing still won't boot up. I get no beeps this time and I noticed that the fan on the new graphics card wasn't spinning round.

So now I'm stuck. Is the problem with the slot on the motherboard? Is the new card faulty? Is the new card incompatible with my PC? Can my decrepid PC not handle this flashy new card? Or is it because the PC doesn't have the drivers installed?

I've scoured the web to see if I can buy a working version of my old graphics card and see if this works but as it is so old there aren't any around. I found some very cheap 'similar' spec cards on eBay for a few quid each and wondered if it was worth buying a few and seeing if these worked?

If anyone can point me in the right direction I'd be very grateful! (Please keep it simple though or my head might implode!!!)

Here is what I know about all the bits involved:

PC:
Motherboard - ECS P4VXASD2 v3.3
Memory - 768MB
CPU type and speed - ?
Graphics card slot: AGPx4

Old graphics card:
Guillemot Maxi Gamer Xentor nvidia riva TNT2, 16MB, AGPx2

New card:
Inno3D nvidia GeForce 6200, 256MB, AGPx4/8

Thanks in advance! :)

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 19:14 08 Mar 2007

1 remove and refit the card they often need pushing home quite hard, retry to boot.

Stukes 19:54 08 Mar 2007

Hi Fruit Bat,

I don't want to count my chickens too early but that may just have worked! I did try taking the card out and putting it back in before but with no joy. How odd!

The PC is on now with the old card in. I tried it first with the new card and the fan went round but the PC wouldn't boot up. I'll have to try it with that one again now.

Fingers crossed it was just a temporary blip!!!

Thanks for your help :)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

What went wrong at the Designs of the Year 2017

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment utiliser Live Photos ?