Pc wont boot or recognise boot cd

shauntaylor 00:23 02 Jul 2008

My pc wont boot beyond the windows screen, it loads for awhile then a blue screen with writing on flashes for a split second then the pc restarts. After the pc has restarted im notified that last time the pc failed to start properly and given options such as start normally, in safe mode etc. Each option gives me exactly the same result.

Seeing as I am able to enter the bios and the pc posts I surmised the problem was with windows. I have tried inserting the windows disk on startup but I get exactly the same result again, the fact that the disk is in the drive is completely ignored. The dvd drive is recognised in the bios and opens and closes for the cd so im unsure as to what the problem is? Any tips would be greatly appreciated.

norman47 01:34 02 Jul 2008

Have you set your cdrom as first boot in the bios. It is sometimes listed as * boot priority*

When you have set this in the bios, press the F10 key to save these settings and to restart the computer. Make sure the disk is ready and in the drive.

If you have a manufacturers logo when the computer starts, pres the tab key to override this and to show the start screen.

shauntaylor 02:37 02 Jul 2008

Norman I assumed it was but on further inspection you're absolutely correct it wasn't thank you. I tried fixboot on the recovery console which didn't work then I tried chkdsk which "found one or more errors." Pc now starts with a very slight stutter at the point it used to restart at.

ronalddonald 07:56 02 Jul 2008

I had a simlar problem with windows xp, my disc was dirty scratched. I got it cleaned up using a disc cleaner and it loaded fine after that.

Also get a cd cleaner for the drive.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Lightwell software lets you create mobile apps without using code

Best value Mac: Which is the best £1249 Mac to buy

Comment désactiver les programmes qui s'exécutent au démarrage de Windows 10 ?