PC won't boot following power cut

griffo 11:23 22 Jun 2008

We are served by overhead power cables and in windy weather, such as today, we occassionally get momentary losses of power. This has happened this morning just when my PC was about fully booted (XP Pro).

Now, when I try to re-start the PC, it offers me the various Safe Modes plus Last known good configuration but whatever I select, after a few seconds of commencing the boot, it shuts off and starts the process again. I cannot get beyond this point!

Any suggestions please?

crosstrainer 11:34 22 Jun 2008

Change the boot order in your BIOS to boot from cd / dvd.

Then follow these instructions:

You can boot to the XP cd and when you see the "Welcome to setup" message, press the letter R.
You will then get a DOS prompt.
Then type: chkdsk /p [enter]
When that is done type: fixboot [enter]
Type: Y at the next prompt [enter]
Then type: exit [enter]
The system will now reboot into Windows.

If for some reason that didn't work, you can boot to the recovery console (example above).
Type: "chkdsk /r" [enter]
When done type: exit [enter].
This takes a bit longer, but the system should boot back into Windows.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 11:47 22 Jun 2008

It will have corrupted some windows files if power cut while booting.

Do a windows repair:

Repair XP by install over the top of existing system

1. Boot the computer using the XP CD. You may need to change the boot order in the system BIOS so the CD boots before the hard drive. Check your system documentation for steps to access the BIOS and change the boot order.

2. When you see the "Welcome To Setup" screen, you will see This portion of the Setup program prepares Microsoft Windows XP to run on your computer:

To setup Windows XP now, press ENTER.

To repair a Windows XP installation using Recovery Console, press R.

To quit Setup without installing Windows XP, press F3.

3. Press Enter to start the Windows Setup.

To setup Windows XP now and Repair Install , press ENTER.

DO NOT choose "To repair a Windows XP installation using the Recovery Console, press R", (you Do Not want to load Recovery Console).

4. Accept the License Agreement and Windows will search for existing Windows installations.

5. Select the XP installation you want to repair from the list and press R to start the repair.

6. Setup will copy the necessary files to the hard drive and reboot.

Do not press any key to boot from CD when the message appears.

Setup will continue as if it were doing a clean install, but your applications and settings will remain intact.

Repair XP
click here

griffo 12:03 22 Jun 2008

Thanks for the replies.
FruitBat - got to here:
5. Select the XP installation you want to repair from the list and press R to start the repair.
and tried pressing R but nothing happened. Pressed enter (to install windows in this drive (C:) and it says:
The partition is either too full (not), damaged, not formatted, or formatted with an incompatible file system (not - it's NTFS). To continue installing Windows, Setup must format this partition.

I know I don't want to do that as I will wipe everything. Have I gone wrong somewhere?

I'm still on that screen - haven't done anything else.

griffo 12:59 22 Jun 2008

I have 2 slave drives in this PC. Should I try altering one to Master, the problem drive to Slave, then install XP onto the good drive?

If I do this or put the faulty drive into another PC, am I likely to be able to repair it?

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 14:47 22 Jun 2008

Boot to recovery console and run chkdsk

also try a fixmbr form recovery console and then retry the repair.

griffo 15:05 22 Jun 2008

I have just tried your suggestions and it worked! Thanks very much, wish I had tried that first.

All sorted - cheers.

griffo 18:00 17 Oct 2008

Can I re-open this thread please - it's happened again (don't know the cause).
I have tried following Crosstrainer's suggestions again but when I press 'R' it asks which system I want to connect to (or something like that) but only offers 1. C:\Windows, so I select that and it ask for a password, which I don't know!

Can anyone help please?

Diemmess 18:10 17 Oct 2008

Forgive a silly comment I mean well ...

When challenged for the password, have you tried merely pressing Enter?

I know that whenever I have to install an OS for friend, family, or self, I shun placing a password because such things can be forgotten and if unimportant can be left out altogether.

griffo 18:22 17 Oct 2008

Diemmess - thanks for the response, tried that but it doesn't accept it.

MarvintheAndroid 19:03 17 Oct 2008

When (if) you installed Windows, it asked for an administrator password. That is the password it needs for repair.

Marv.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

Halloween Photoshop & Illustrator tutorials: 20 step-by-step guides to creating spook-tacular…

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment créer, modifier et réinitialiser un compte Apple ?