pc wont boot from cd

downie 18:35 15 Jan 2008

Hi all wondering if someone can help me with my problem, here goes i got this pc from a friend and it was working fine and then a few weeks later it wouldnt let me get passed the start up screen, i have went in to the bios to try and boot from a windows cd in order to delete the partition and re-install windows again, now when the pc starts up it looks as if it is tring to boot from cd it even says press any key to boot from cd and then does nothing i would be so great full in someone could help me

woodchip 18:55 15 Jan 2008

For BIOS try pressing Del as Computer starts, go too boot options and set CD as first boot device followed by Hard Drive, Start with XP CD and do a repair

skidzy 18:56 15 Jan 2008

Did you actually do a fresh install of windows ? im assuming xp.

Did you attempt a fresh install and stop this before it had finished ?

downie 19:01 15 Jan 2008

no i didnt do a fresh install and i have already set the 1st boot drive as cd rom and hard drive as the second

downie 19:01 15 Jan 2008

sorry its windows xp pro

skidzy 19:07 15 Jan 2008

It looks like you need to finish what has been started,did you actually use the windows disc at all ? even if for a repair.

" i have went in to the bios to try and boot from a windows cd in order to delete the partition and re-install windows again "

How to repair xp click here

How to reinstall xp click here

downie 19:13 15 Jan 2008

i didnt start the new install i never got a chance i know how to install xp its just the pc wont boot the cd to do it:)

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 19:16 15 Jan 2008

Go into BIOS remove HDD in the boot devices and ONLY HAVE CD as a boot device.

save and exit (F10)

boot with the XP CD in the drive and keep tapping the return key at the Press any key to boot from CD.

Then follow the instructions to do a repair as per the link from skidzy.

on completeion reset the BIOS to boot from the HDD.

rossgolf 19:18 15 Jan 2008

what happens when you press boot from cd? any errors or beeps etc?....

downie 21:35 15 Jan 2008

nothing happens it just stays on the press any key screen

skidzy 21:38 15 Jan 2008

Is your keyboard active ?

If not,go back into the bios and look for USB LEGACY and check this is enabled,F10 to save and exit.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?