PC won't boot

soy 19:53 11 May 2003

Hi, sorry for posting this separate thread. Its very similar to slowhand_1000's post.

My cousins pc won't load. It gets to a certain stage and then completely freezes.

The bios startup screen recognises the mouse, CD-ROM drive and CD-RW drives, but freezes after this. I cannot even get into setup scrreen by pressing f1. If I keep tapping f1 before I switch on the power, the 'entering setup...' appears but also freezes at this stage.

I asked my cousin what he done before and he said he'd only listend to some music and shutdown normally. And this problem appeared.

I'm thinking it could be the CMOS battery or a burned out motherboard.

What do you think?

woodchip 19:57 11 May 2003

Check for overheating. Take side of comp and have a look to see if the CPU fan is working at the correct speed

woodchip 19:58 11 May 2003

Not CMOS or Motherboard as you would not see anything

soy 20:08 11 May 2003

Hi Woodchip!

Thanks, that ruled that out.

Its been like that for about a week now so I think its had enough time to cool down.

Are there any other possible variables?

soy 20:11 11 May 2003

btw, I thought it was the hard drive (although the bios recognised it)so I switched it with another that had windows 95 on it.

No change whatsoever, so its definately not the HD.

There was a message that saying something about 'completed configuring data' that came up on the hard drive, could this mean something?

soy 20:11 11 May 2003

btw, I thought it was the hard drive (although the bios recognised it)so I switched it with another that had windows 95 on it.

No change whatsoever, so its definately not the HD.

There was a message that saying something about 'completed configuring data' that came up on the bios, could this mean something?

soy 20:13 11 May 2003

Sorry, the first of the 2 identical posts above, is wrong.

soy 20:26 11 May 2003

I phoned my cousin and the exact message in bios says: 'System configuration data updated'.

The pc freezes after this.

woodchip 20:32 11 May 2003

Leaving it will not make any difference about overheating you need to check the fan. Just starting will do it

woodchip 20:36 11 May 2003

"System configuration data updated" You cannot just change a Hard Drive and expect it to recognise it as all the hardware will be different Drivers and everything, So you need to put the right drive back in, check what I said

soy 20:45 11 May 2003

Hi woodchip,

The 'system configuration data updated' message appears in the bios with the original HD.

I mentioned it becuase I've never heard of this message before.

Ok, I didn't check but I do think the fans are working because I can clearly hear it when I switch on the power.

I will check next time I visit him.

BTW, would this bios freeze be cuase of a broken fan? if so, how come I can't even access the bios setup screen? Would the fial fan prevent my from accessing it?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

What went wrong at the Designs of the Year 2017

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment regarder des séries et talk-shows américains en France ?