PC won't boot

x_wozza_x 15:59 11 Oct 2010

Hello,

I'm hoping someone can help. My laptop won't boot whatsoever. I will explain what happened.

I had windows 7 on my laptop and wanted to re-install Vista as I prefer it. So I inserted the disc to install Vista and went through the installation period, after it finished it went to a black screen with just my cursor showing, I left it longer assuming it was still doing the installation. Then I turned the laptop off, tried to reboot thinking the installation had crashed and now the laptop won't boot.

I've tried safe mode etc and nothing will work, and I don't want to lose all the stuff on my laptop. i.e (700+ music tracks)

Can anyone help please?

Many Thanks,
Dan

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 17:18 11 Oct 2010

"So I inserted the disc to install Vista and went through the installation period, after it finished it went to a black screen with just my cursor showing,"

If you wiped & and reinstalled Vista (formatting the drive) you have probably lost everything on the drive anyway.

Try a startup repair from the DVD

1/ make sure your PC can boot directly from the Vista DVD. Obviously, most modern PCs can. With older machines you may need to check the PC's BIOS

2/ Start the PC

3/ Immediately insert the Windows Vista DVD into the DVD drive

4/ A Black screen will appear with the words 'Press any key to boot from CD or DVD'

5/ Press Any key to start the booting process

6/ A new screen will now appear with a progress bar. The legend say's 'Windows is loading files'

7/ After a few minutes the Microsoft copyright window ill appear and another small progress bar will be visible

8/ You will next see a Blue curtained screen

9/ After a short while the Language option screen will appear

10/ Select your language and keyboard language and the Click the Next button

11/ At the bottom left of the next screen - the Install screen, Click on the Repair Your Computer option

12/ The System recovery options will now search for your Windows Vista installation

13/ Once the Vista installation has been located, Highlight it and then Click the Next button

14/ You are now presented with the set of recovery options

15/ Click on the Option you require and follow the onscreen prompts

woodchip 17:32 11 Oct 2010

My guess is the Boot sector does not know what;s going on with all the changes you have made. Only way that I can see is try to get something working by running first TestDisk click here if that fails click here

x_wozza_x 20:15 11 Oct 2010

Thanks for your answers.

I'm currently doing the first reply but the start-up repair screen has been on now for about an hour, is this standard?

Regards
Dan

woodchip 20:44 11 Oct 2010

No

woodchip 20:45 11 Oct 2010

Is the Hard Drive showing any activity?

x_wozza_x 20:46 11 Oct 2010

How do you mean?

x_wozza_x 20:49 11 Oct 2010

The green disc light is flickering

x_wozza_x 16:14 13 Oct 2010

Can anyone help please? Still can't get it booted up. Thanks.

woodchip 16:25 13 Oct 2010

have you tried the links I supplied?

x_wozza_x 16:27 13 Oct 2010

I don't know what to do with them to be totally honest. Do I need to be on the laptop to go on the links?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone