PC won't boot

BabyOp 21:30 06 Dec 2006

Had a call from my sister saying her PC won't boot. I popped in to have a quick look and it sails through POST and then attempts to start Windows and states the PC failed to start correctly and gives me the following options:

Safe Mode
Safe Mode with Command Prompt
Safe Mode with Networking
Last known Good Configuration (or something to that effect)
Start Windows Normally

All of the above seem to start and then the PC reboots.

The fact the PC get's to this point seems to indicate the hardware is ok and from what she has told me she hasn't knowingly installed anything in the last few days and it was all working fine as she was using it yesterday. The PC is installed with AdAware, Spybot, Microsoft Defender and Avast and she updates and runs these on a regular basis. She's running XP SP2.

Any ideas ?

woodchip 21:35 06 Dec 2006

Only thing I can see is to run XP repair From the XP CD if that's what the OS is. As it sounds like Registry Corruption

skidzy 21:39 06 Dec 2006

Maybe the system file checker

Start/Run and type sfc /scannow
Understanding sfc
click here

I would goto device manager and look for any exclaimation marks...if any post back with details.

BabyOp 21:39 06 Dec 2006

Thanks woodchip. She has a recovery cd, which from experience generally tries to reload the PC. Any idea if you can run a repair from a recovery CD ? Or would I just be able to use any XP CD ?

BabyOp 21:41 06 Dec 2006

skidzy thanks for the response but I have no way of getting into XP to run the file checker.

woodchip 21:42 06 Dec 2006

Have a look through hear, you may find something other than what I suggest above click here

skidzy 21:46 06 Dec 2006

My apologies i misread your thread Doh !

woodchip 21:46 06 Dec 2006

This may do it click here

BabyOp 21:47 06 Dec 2006

Cheers woodchip I'll have a read. Always the same with family they get a problem and want it sorted now, there never concerned you've been at work all day and want to watch the football ;o)

BabyOp 21:47 06 Dec 2006

No problem skidzy, I hadn't come across that utility before so you've taught me something new.

skidzy 21:49 06 Dec 2006

Just a quick suggestion ...have you tried tapping F11 on startup,if your really lucky,you may have windows on a seperate partition that will give you 3 options...one of these is a repair option.

Worth a try,before a system recovery.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?