PC will not start from cold boot

dunderheid 13:15 24 Oct 2009

My PC hangs on initial boot up. No matter how many times I press the reset button and restart it, it never gets any furthet than the Welcome Screen and then hangs.

The strange thing is, if I switch it on in the morning and leave it at the first freezeup for about 10 minutes,when I then press the reset button it starts fine and can be restarted umpteen times after this and will boot every time.

To me it is like a car that will not start on a cold morning, and then when it gets going it goes like a bomb!

I have tried all the usual things like sfc /scannow, chkdsk, defrag, Fixmbr, Fixboot etc. I have uninstalled/reinstalled and even updated the Graphics card drivers. I have tried booting up with the mouse, keyboard and USB Drive disconnected. I have run System Restore. I have tested the RAM and HDD with software from MAXTOR and I am told they are in tip top condition. I have disconnected/reconnected the IDE cable between the HDD and motherboard. I have checked for spyware and viruses with programs like Spybot and AVG Free. I have tried msconfig/rebuild to rebuild the boot ini file. I have replaced NTLDR and NTDETECT.COM. I have checked the inside of the case for any scorch marks or damage to capacitators on the MOB, and for loose connections etc. I have unseated and reseated the graphics and RAM cards and cleaned the contacts. I have even done a reinstall of the OS, all to no avail

The fans are all working. The PSU is a replacement top of the range Antec Trueblue 480 Watt only fitted 3 years ago.

In short I have done all the checks I am capable of doing and can find nothing wrong.

If I was prepared to leave the PC on 24/7 I would not need to post this message as it is perfectly OK once it is has warmed up, but I don't want to do this.

I am Spartacus 13:18 24 Oct 2009

Most likely PSU not providing full 12V when initially switched on.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 13:30 24 Oct 2009

If it was PSU problems then normal will will not post or stalls because HDD is not powered so wil not even start to boot windows.

When yo say Welcome screen do you mean XP with bars scrolling along bottom or the screen where you can choose which User to log in?

If the latter then can be caused by a corrupt profile so back up all the stuff in the MY documents folder then create a new profile with admin privileges and delete the old profile.

dunderheid 13:40 24 Oct 2009

I should have said, My OS is Windows XP.

Recently it has been hanging at the Sky Blue "Welcome" screen, but at other times it would stop where you get the small cube-like bars going acroos the bottom of the screen.

Mayb I should have also said that if I persist in pressing the reset button it will take 6 or seven attempts before it will start. That is why I have just left it for a few minutes before pressing the reset button again

Thanks for the response by the way!

dunderheid 13:44 24 Oct 2009

By the way maybe I should have also made known that I have just done a complete fornat and reinstall of the operating system a day or two ago, and it has not helped the situation!

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 13:45 24 Oct 2009

Age of Machine 5 years + ?

Then PSU is likely to be on its way out although I'm running several machines much older than that without any problems.

If you have a XP CD try a repair install.

dunderheid 14:10 24 Oct 2009

The PSU is a replacement top of the range Antec Trueblue 480 Watt only fitted 3 years ago.

When the original PSU went kaput, the machine would not boot at all!

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 14:20 24 Oct 2009

Then HArd drive or corrupt windows files do a repair install and see if it solves the problen.
Repair XP by install over the top of existing system

1. Boot the computer using the XP CD. You may need to change the boot order in the system BIOS so the CD boots before the hard drive. Check your system documentation for steps to access the BIOS and change the boot order.

2. When you see the "Welcome To Setup" screen, you will see This portion of the Setup program prepares Microsoft Windows XP to run on your computer:

To setup Windows XP now, press ENTER.

To repair a Windows XP installation using Recovery Console, press R.

To quit Setup without installing Windows XP, press F3.

3. Press Enter to start the Windows Setup.

To setup Windows XP now and Repair Install , press ENTER.

DO NOT choose "To repair a Windows XP installation using the Recovery Console, press R", (you Do Not want to load Recovery Console).

4. Accept the License Agreement and Windows will search for existing Windows installations.

5. Select the XP installation you want to repair from the list and press R to start the repair.

6. Setup will copy the necessary files to the hard drive and reboot.

Do not press any key to boot from CD when the message appears.

Setup will continue as if it were doing a clean install, but your applications and settings will remain intact.

Repair XP
click here

dunderheid 14:28 24 Oct 2009

Will report back when I have tried that.

dunderheid 10:59 25 Oct 2009

I tried the above and it has made no difference!

Quiller. 11:16 25 Oct 2009

Check the hard drive is SMART enabled. Also if you know the make of the hard drive. Go to the manufacturs website and download a diagnostic test.

Might be worth disabling the cd/dvd drives and any usb devices plugged into the machine.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

The Evil Within 2 review-in-progress

InVision Studio takes on Adobe XD and Sketch

Camera tips to take better iPhone photos

Comment transformer un iPhone en borne Wi-Fi ?