PC will not start up since changing BIOS setting

jules1967 16:32 09 Sep 2007

I've just gone into the BIOS on my old P3 1ghz PC with Geforce 2 MX400. the monitor turns off when trying to play a game (and when testing direct draw 3d function in direct x diagnostic menu). I have changed a setting that says top performance in the DRAM menu of BIOS. It changed the latency from 3 to 2 I think. Nowhen trying to start the PC there is just a continuous beep and nothing else. I there anyway to get back into the BIOS to change it back?

Diemmess 17:14 09 Sep 2007

It could be a duff connection either card to mobo (remove and replace carefully and firmly), or monitor to motherboard. Check these before you switch on again.

If the card has really failed and there is integral video in the mobo, you could try removing your MX400, change the monitor lead to the other video out socket at the back of the mobo and hope your computer will accept this by default.

Perhaps you can update us with the result if no one comes up with a cast iron idea!

cyberphobic 17:26 09 Sep 2007

If you just remove the CMOS battery for 10 seconds it will re-set the BIOS to default and should reboot

woodchip 18:12 09 Sep 2007

Go it to BIOS and set BIOS back to Default settings the save and exit

jules1967 18:14 09 Sep 2007

Thanks for the advice. I have done what you said cyberphobic and it boots up now but get lots of windows errors (running xp). Should I do a system restore?

cyberphobic 18:28 09 Sep 2007

Yes I would definitely try system restore first

jules1967 22:46 09 Sep 2007

Tried a system restore and still getting all sorts of errors saying this program has encountered a problem and will have to shut down etc. including a generic host error. PC is also shuting down not long after windows loads since resetting BIOS. I have gone into BIOS and loaded fail safe option. Any more ideas please?

woodchip 22:48 09 Sep 2007

This sounds like a Driver problem. Go into Event Viewer to see what you can see. Right click on problems

jules1967 23:00 09 Sep 2007

Cannot even boot PC again now. Getting a continuous beep as before. Tried reseating graphics card. Mobo is Gigabyte GA6VTXE with American Megatrands BIOS

skidzy 23:03 09 Sep 2007

Continuous beep implies psu or mobo problem.

Do you have the motherboard driver and utilities disc.If so insert this and try to boot up.

You may now have a corrupt bios !

skidzy 23:04 09 Sep 2007

Will the system boot if the keyboard is disconnected ?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone