PC will not start

jonski 09:14 10 Feb 2014
Answered

Morning All. Tried starting PC this morning and when it gets to the log in screen it is telling me user name profile cannot be found...Then eventually it gives me the option to change password. When i click on it it gives me the option to search for info but only on a USB Hard drive.

It is a Packard Bell all in one PC Running Win7.

Any ideas as i cannot do any work.

Thanks John

Jollyjohn 09:18 10 Feb 2014

Morning.

Disconnect USB hard drive.

Try again. If still no go then tap F8 as pc starts. Try repair option.

Or "Last known good configuration" if listed.

onthelimit1 09:20 10 Feb 2014

I had this a couple of times on XP and Vista recently. A System Restore to a couple of days ago fixed it each time.

onthelimit1 09:20 10 Feb 2014

P.S. - do this from safe Mode (tap F8 during boot).

jonski 09:22 10 Feb 2014

Hi John, tried unplugging the USB Drive and still no joy. It won't let me boot into safe mode either. It only gives me 2 options. And that is to run win diagnostics or boot normally. Which ever i chose it goes into repair mode then takes around 40 minutes then tells me nothing has been found or repair made..Please reboot PC for changes to take effect. This i then do and back to square one.

Jollyjohn 09:45 10 Feb 2014

Have a look here click here bell recovery options.

There is an option to repair the OS and retain data.

Packard

jonski 10:05 10 Feb 2014

Hi JollyJohn...I'm trying that now...Taking ages, as for fully restoring the system. The cd/dvd rom drive has packed in too...So will have to get a portable cd drive to do it.

Jollyjohn 10:35 10 Feb 2014

The last Packard Bell I fixed had a recovery partition so I didn't need the cd/dvd drive.

jonski 11:26 10 Feb 2014

It's reset itself to original factory settings on the C drive, but all my data has gone. D drive has been left untouched.

Thanks for your assistance.

John

iscanut 11:49 10 Feb 2014
Answer

Not any use to you now, but let this be a lesson to others re the importance of backing up data that you do not want to lose.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?