PC will not start

birnie 20:35 05 Aug 2009

My PC will not start in any mode,I get a screen with several options to start, safe mode, last known working etc, but whichever I choose a few seconds in the PC crashes and re starts, going back to the options screen. Any ideas?
win xp pro, P4 3.2 gig Abit IC 7 2 gig mem

grey george 21:21 05 Aug 2009

Have you made any recent changes? added new software.
Will it boot to a C: prompt from the list of options?
If so type scanreg /restore
this should give you a list of registry back ups to restore from ,choose the most recent one, when you know the pc was working properly.

GaT7 21:32 05 Aug 2009

I thought scanreg /restore was for older Windows OSes?

If no go with the above, try using System Restore in Safe Mode click here. G

Sea Urchin 21:47 05 Aug 2009

scanreg /restore was for Win98SE

Whiston 21:49 05 Aug 2009

It sounds exactly what I had happen recently. It just keeps going round and round on that loop doesn't it after the crash?
My PC engineer tried but couldn't do a home repair and had to take it into his workshop. He said the worst scenario would be to have lost everything that wasn't backed up (precious little) but in fact he managed to rescue all the hard drive stuff. I had to reinstall e-mail and all the programmes I had put in myself over time. I couldn't remember everything and am still doing it gradually but it means my PC did have a good clear out of accumulated rubbish.
My engineer said it would almost certainly be a piece of recently installed corrupt software (as it suggests on the screen) and it was (Windows software). There had been four updates released that day and he had another crash like mine.
I was a bit shocked that Windows could cause it but he said it isn't rare.
I hope yours isn't this type of crash but it does sound similar.
Whiston

dunc1234 11:47 06 Aug 2009

what is says can be true, but how old is the hard drive, if its four years old or more, i would change it out as its often the first stage of hard drive failure, harddrives are usually dated or have a date code that you can look up to get date of manufacture. faulty memory can also corrupt the harddrive information, would you would probably of had a lot more crashes.

remember that ALL hard drive fail at sometime with the loss of all data, keep a copy of data you can't afford to lose.

ened 12:06 06 Aug 2009

Can you get into the BIOS?

If so try change the boot sequence and boot from your CD (Assuming you have one).

I haven't done it for ages but I do believe one of the options is to 'repair' the installation.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 18:28 06 Aug 2009

Repair XP by install over the top of existing system

1. Boot the computer using the XP CD. You may need to change the boot order in the system BIOS so the CD boots before the hard drive. Check your system documentation for steps to access the BIOS and change the boot order.

2. When you see the "Welcome To Setup" screen, you will see This portion of the Setup program prepares Microsoft Windows XP to run on your computer:

To setup Windows XP now, press ENTER.

To repair a Windows XP installation using Recovery Console, press R.

To quit Setup without installing Windows XP, press F3.

3. Press Enter to start the Windows Setup.

To setup Windows XP now and Repair Install , press ENTER.

DO NOT choose "To repair a Windows XP installation using the Recovery Console, press R", (you Do Not want to load Recovery Console).

4. Accept the License Agreement and Windows will search for existing Windows installations.

5. Select the XP installation you want to repair from the list and press R to start the repair.

6. Setup will copy the necessary files to the hard drive and reboot.

Do not press any key to boot from CD when the message appears.

Setup will continue as if it were doing a clean install, but your applications and settings will remain intact.

Repair XP
click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

See the work of famous artists playing with toys

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment faire une capture d’écran sur un Mac ?