Pc will not post

LANDCRUISER 13:30 12 Nov 2008

hello folks,having problem with pc,windows xp home will not post,no sound at all when started but both lights are lit up at the front & will not start with mesh disc & will not start with norton ghost 10 any help welcomed

MAJ 13:36 12 Nov 2008

You can get the disk drives to open, take a disk and close, LANDCRUISER?

LANDCRUISER 14:02 12 Nov 2008

hi MAJ what do you mean? have tried loading disc but nothing happens

johndrew 14:16 12 Nov 2008

Is it possible that your HDD (or one of them if you have more than one) has either become corrupt or failed.

I suggest you disconnect your HDD (both or all) and try booting from a CD (Mesh or Norton). If this works it is likely to be a HDD problem. If not it could be motherboard or PSU.

Try the above and post back.

LANDCRUISER 14:26 12 Nov 2008

hi johndrew,just tried what you said still nothing,also noticed the screen saying no signal i dont no if this has anything to do with it

canarieslover 14:31 12 Nov 2008

Could be graphics card is not making a good connection in the slot but you should still get a beep. Memory failure too should produce a beep. Main culprit in this case is likely to be PSU or motherboard.

LANDCRUISER 14:35 12 Nov 2008

hi canarieslover,have resetted all cards,i amm getting orange & green lights lighting up at the front of pc,somone told me if this is lit the the psu is ok

Taff™ 14:50 12 Nov 2008

Not true I`m afraid.

LANDCRUISER 15:31 12 Nov 2008

hi taff,thats bad news then,anyone have anything i can try or have i beaten all the experts

Taff™ 15:43 12 Nov 2008

It could be that the PSU has blown and taken the motherboard with it. As johndrew suggested unplug every HDD and Optical Drive and see if you get a post. If not I would borrow a working PSU from another system and try that with just the main HDD connected, no CD drives or floppy. If that doesn`t work you`re probably going to think about a new system.

If you can`t borrow a PSU, remove the existing one and get it tested. Your local PC repair shop might be the best bet because they`ll have the right equipment to test both PSU and motherboard.

LANDCRUISER 15:47 12 Nov 2008

hi taff,have tryed what johndrew said & nothing,if nothing works here then will take pc to be tested

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Acer Predator 21X review

These hilarious robot GIFs will be sure to make you smile

Best podcast apps for iPhone & iPad

Nokia 8 : design, caractéristiques techniques, date de sortie