pc will not boot if usb device is attched

grif99 11:07 06 Dec 2005

Have XP SP2 and pc will not boot if a usb device is plugged in. eg usb adsl modem or usb dongle. The bios screen freezes. Unplug and restart no problems? Can anyone enlighten me. thanks.

xania 13:16 06 Dec 2005

I suspect that the drivers for your port have been damaged or never installed. Recommend that you delete all references to USB in your Device Manager and the reboot with nothing in any USB port. The system will probably still install the port drivers at this stage, so have your install CD handy incase it needs it. Then connect your devices, one at a time, and follow any on-screen instructions.

grif99 13:53 06 Dec 2005

sorry for being a bit thick, but could you expain what usb items i should delete in device manager ?how far do i go. The installation cd you refer to - is that XP's usb drivers or the individual usb device drivers?
Thanks for you reply.

grif99 13:56 06 Dec 2005

Forgot to say that the USB devices do work after the computer boots. The computer just wont boot if they are plugged in at start-up. I have to unplug before starting computer then plug usb device back in to use them

vinnyT 14:13 06 Dec 2005

This sounds more like a setting in the bios, check to see which has priority boot, ie on mine cd, hard drive, etc...

It may be that on your pc the bios is set to boot using the usb ports, so if anything is connected it tries to boot from this and the poor thing gets confused.

As I say, Idon't know for sure that it is the boot setting, but it is more likely some setting in the bios, as the devices work when in windows and the prob only occurs when booting.

Hope this helps.

1 star 14:20 06 Dec 2005

It does sound as if you have an option of booting from a usb device in the bios. As vinnyT has suggested look in the bios for that option and disable it. Then try.

woodchip 14:42 06 Dec 2005

I get the same now after setting up a Network on Win98se it's a USB External Hard Drive. It stops with flashing Cursor and have to switch Drive off then restart Computer before switching USB Hard Drive back on

grif99 16:46 06 Dec 2005

The bios does have an option to boot from usb but i'm sure its about forth or later choice after hard drive and cd. I will investigate and disable usb boot if its an option.
Thanks for your help.

phil46 16:56 06 Dec 2005

Power the hub up some devices can pull the power
IE ADSL modems these are better plugged into USB ports on the MOBO.

grif99 13:32 07 Dec 2005

disabled other boot devices in bios fixed problem. Many thanks for all your help.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Microsoft Paint set to die after 32 years

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment désactiver la saisie intuitive et paramétrer votre clavier ?