PC will not boot - cannot read Live (file) ....

Brighstone 22:36 10 Sep 2009

I have a Dell Inspiron laptop using Windows XP Professional. It now fails to boot showing the message "STOP: c0000218(registry file failure). The registry cannot read the Live (file):\SystemRoot\system32\Config\SOFTWARE or its log or alternate. It is corrupt, absent or not writeable. Beginning dump of physical memory. Physical memory dump complete" I've attempted to start in safe mode, the mode when it last booted OK and from a Dell XP Home disc (I didn't get a disc with the Inspiron) but all attempts end with the same error message. Any info. about how I can overcome the problem would be much appreciated.

lotvic 23:41 10 Sep 2009

You do not say which model inspiron it is (1100 or 1200 or 1320 etc)
there are several test and boot options on Dells using either F8 or F12 when you see the Dell logo at first boot up
Read the setup manual(s) for your model on Dell Support page click here or post back on here with the laptop inspiron model number

lotvic 23:47 10 Sep 2009

These articles may help you to get it working click here click here

lotvic 23:53 10 Sep 2009

sorry about the last 'click here' that only brings up the google page to input search.
just put
Live (file):\SystemRoot\system32\Config\SOFTWARE
in the box and there are several good links on what to do to fix prob.

(I tried to link to the search results but it didn't work :(

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 23:57 10 Sep 2009

Missing Or Corrupt Windows\System32\Conf\System File
click here

Brighstone 11:33 12 Sep 2009

Hi lotvic and Fruit Bat. Didn't get round to your suggestion Fruit Bat(but thanks all the same for your response) as I tried lotvic's suggested link first and boy, was I over the moon when it worked and the laptop is up and running again. Can't thank you enough lotvic and my wife, whose laptop it is, also sends you her heartfelt thanks.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Microsoft Paint set to die after 32 years

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment désactiver la saisie intuitive et paramétrer votre clavier ?