PC will not boot up

Papa goose 10:52 07 Apr 2009

Hi all.

My desktop (xp) was displaying a message that it was short of HD space when I put itunes on and copied all the windows media player files over. I had a bunch of old DVD programs like Nero, power DVD, that I haven't used for 2-3 years so I deleted them (no warning messages were displayed). I went to do a defrag' to tidy things up, and it said a some component was missing and I should go to system set-upo. I tried a system restore but that just went to a blank screen where the search fields should be. I went in system recovery, and it started the copy and was 54% into the restore when i went to bed. At some point we had a power cut and now the PC will not boot up. It goes to a black screen with PCI device listing at the top, and NTLDR is compressed at the bottom, and Press Ctrl=Alt+Del to restart, and if I do this it just takes me back to the same place... how can I recover this???
Thanks in advance.

Papa goose 06:53 08 Apr 2009

I was getting the low disk space message which is where this started, and I did use add/remove to take off programs the DVD making software added to the machine that were never actually used. When trying to defrag' it said a file was missing and told me to go to system set up, and when I went to search for the file the search funstion did not work. Which is why I did the system restore when prompted. The power cut seems to have occured before this was complete, which was all mentioned above, as is the fact that I don't have the original XP disc.

Anything useful to help resolve this situation would be appreciated.

woodchip 14:13 08 Apr 2009

You need to buy borrow beg a XP CD, and do a repair. But you may need to shift some stuff off the drive before it will work. You can do this by just deleting items you know you do not use using a Win98se boot Floppy and using Edit after booting with the floppy. at Command Prompt

lotvic 22:09 08 Apr 2009

You just need to make yourself a boot CD click here so that you can then use the XP home CD that you have (the one that's not bootable)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

iPhone X review

How to find a font: Discover the name of a typeface with these apps

The best iPhone for 2017

Les meilleurs logiciels de montage vidéo gratuits (en 2017)